What is the difference between Samba and NFS?

From: bEEnHeX (beenhex_at_zoznam.sk)
Date: 08/13/03

    To: <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:34:08 +0200

    Greetings to all !

    Sorry for some kind of a pitty question, but I would like to know what is
    the difference between Samba and NFS and what are main purposes they are
    used for?

    Seems that both of them will do the same job - for sharing files over
    network with e. g. Windows machines.

    Regards,

    bEEnHeX

    • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
      ... >> another NFS server goes away. ... you're reduced to using something like samba as a server ... and the Linux-to-Linux situations? ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Problem setting up NFS on Ubuntu
      ... >>> mount' for vfat mount options. ... >>> exporting vfat via NFS, it's not designed for multiuser systems ... > alike on the FS and use samba to export it to doze clients. ... >> which should make windows client access easier, and does work also from RISC ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: kern.ngroups question
      ... NFS only supports this much by default. ... Samba ... I just had to deal with this limitation and it was quite annoying to say ... unsigned int stamp; ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
      ... the statement that they'd used both SAMBA and NFS and that SAMBA ... Linux boxes, but if I'm already going to have SAMBA running, what ... if the wife wants Windows, ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Windows NFS client to access Linux (Fedora & Suse) hosts
      ... Larry I Smith wrote: ... >> Windows requirement is temporary, ... Why learn Samba (under pressure to ... when we need to get up to par on nfs anyhow. ...
      (comp.os.linux)