Problem with adding a HD

From: David Smith (dsmith_at_sebc.edu)
Date: 08/14/03

    To: Red Hat General List <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: 13 Aug 2003 17:57:41 -0500

    Hi,
    I'm not sure what to do about a problem I'm having. I have 3 HD on a
    computer. One is a NTFS for windows 2000, one is a 40 gig with 35 gigs
    for space and partition that I am trying to set up as a new /home dir,
    and the third is the linux drive. Here is my problem when I try to mount
    it so that I can copy my /home files there:
    mount /dev/hdd2 /mnt/small -t ext3
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd2,
           or too many mounted file systems

    Well I have repartitioned it using fdisk:
    Disk /dev/hdd: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77545 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

       Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdd1 * 1 65535 33029608+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hdd2 65536 75224 4883256 83 Linux

    >From this can anyone possibly tell me what I've done wrong. If you need
    more info please let me know.
    David

    • Re: failure to mount corrupted drive
      ... trying to recover data for a friend off an ntfs drive. ... reports it as ntfs anyway. ... Force will mount the drive if the file system driver thinks it might ... only other choice is to try Windows itself. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: failure to mount corrupted drive
      ... trying to recover data for a friend off an ntfs drive. ... reports it as ntfs anyway. ... Force will mount the drive if the file system driver thinks it might ... only other choice is to try Windows itself. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Large files on USB hard disk - continued with /var/log/messages
      ... >> and mount in Windows. ... Um, if this drive has NTFS partitions, you are not going to be able to ... FAT32 or Ext3 or another Linux partition. ... from Windows too, use FAT32. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [opensuse] Live-CD and Vista (NTFS) Partitions
      ... Linux can not mount an ntfs filesystem that was not closed ... windows, and close it "normally". ... not repair an ntfs partition, ... You cannot repair an ntfs partition in linux, but you can mount it by ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: During Bootup, Error Concerning NTFS
      ... Mar 27 14:48:32 localhost kernel: NTFS volume version 3.1. ... Run chkdsk and mount in Windows. ... Windows drives, no error is found. ...
      (Debian-User)