Re: strange email behavior

From: Marc Adler (marc_at_adlerpacific.com)
Date: 09/09/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:36:15 -1000

    * Michael Schwendt <ms-nospam-0306@arcor.de> [2003-09-08 12:59]:

    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:22:58 -1000, Marc Adler wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.
    > >
    > > The problem: my computer is only downloading email from my pop3 account
    > > when it's actually on. All messages that come in while it's off are sent
    > > into the void.
    > >
    > > My setup: fetchmail -> procmail -> mutt.
    >
    > Your description is highly confusing. So, you have an e-mail account
    > somewhere which is connected to the Internet permanently. That server
    > account receives messages 24/7 and offers a POP3 service. On a
    > different computer (your client) you use fetchmail to connect to the
    > POP3 server in order to retrieve the messages. Now, who polls your
    > POP3 mailbox when your client is turned of?

    No one. That was the problem. But as my appended post indicated, I
    figured out where the messages were being sent: /var/spool/mail/root.

    > [...]
    >
    > Concerning your fetchmail daemon startup script, disable it and
    > poll your POP3 mailbox manually to debug your problem. Also verify
    > the contents of /etc/fetchmailrc.

    The contents of /etc/fetchmailrc are a copy of my .fetchmailrc, because
    I saw that the script was calling /etc/fetchmailrc, and I wanted it to
    send my mail to my mbox, not root's. All the "lost messages" wind up in
    /var/spool/mail/root, instead of my user's mbox. How can I correct this
    behavior? Should I change the script so that it calls
    /home/marc/.fetchmailrc?

    --
    Marc Adler