daemon and killproc problem in startup script

From: Williams, Quinton L (QWilliams_at_Central.UH.edu)
Date: 09/16/03

    To: "'redhat-list@redhat.com'" <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:52:28 -0500

    I am using RH9 and cannot get the daemon and killproc commands to work in my
    init.d startup scripts.
    I keep getting the following error:

    # /sbin/service dhcpd stop
    Stopping dhcpd: /etc/init.d/dhcpd: line 26: killproc: command not found

    # /sbin/service dhcpd start
    Starting dhcpd: /etc/init.d/dhcpd: line 18: daemon: command not found

    I was able to get the start function to work by just removing the daemon
    command and leaving the path to the program:

    start() {
            echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
            ./usr/sbin/dhcpd

    Any help would be great, but please make it simple since I'm pretty new to
    Linux.

    Quinton Williams
    Telecommunications Analyst
    University of Houston