Re: Redhat Lives

From: Edward Croft (ecroft_at_openratings.com)
Date: 10/06/03

    To: Red Hat List <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:46:46 -0400

    On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 14:29, Brett Franck wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I don't mean to stir up a frenzy here, but I've been following the
    > list for the last few days on this Fedora Vs RedHat, and am
    > confused.......(to say the least)
    >
    > I've been a HAPPY RedHat user since 7.x, and am trying to glean from
    > these posts whether or not I'm going to be able to continue using
    > RedHat for my HTTP, SMTP/POP, SAMBA and FTP Needs???!!!!??? I would
    > despise going back to Mandrake. (Started there, didn't like it)
    > Maybe I've been spoiled by a great FREE product, and want to know if
    > it's going to stay that way........
    >
    > Since I'm not an enterprise customer, will there still be a RedHat
    > server product out there for me to continue to use?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brett
    >
    > Oooh, Brett, careful with that FREE tag. Red Hat Linux was available
    > free, but part of the reason that Red Hat is pushing us to Fedora, at
    > least in what I have gleaned is that RHL is not profitable. A lot of
    > people download it and copy it and never pay anything. How long can a
    > listed company stay profitable giving away the software if no one is
    > buying their support either. Yes, you could get it free, and you could
    > get a free RHN account to keep your free system updated, however, at
    > some point someone has to pay. Red Hat has to account to their
    > shareholders, like me. I want to see them succeed. While they never
    > may reach the lofty $200 a share they achieved when their IPO went
    > out, we do want them to succeed. I did a quick scan on Fedora and I
    > see a lot of the apps that are normally in RHL. In a way, the free
    > version is not going away. It has been reborn as a community effort.
    > Red Hat will still contribute towards it, but the community will
    > support it. This is good for the less fortunate lot that can't afford
    > their enterprise versions. It will also be great for those who are
    > trying to find their way in Linux without a capital outlay. Namely
    > using an old PC and a 'free' copy of Linux. I was a bit put off at
    > first at hearing the news, but I think it is in Red Hat's best
    > interest to concentrate on their enterprise version. The hobbyist can
    > use Fedora to their hearts content freely. This allows Red Hat to
    > concentrate on the more profitable projects. Remember, they still have
    > team members that are contributing to Fedora. So they have not exactly
    > abandoned it. They are looking to the community to build/develop/debug
    > Fedora. In this way, they are assisting in providing a 'free' product,
    > but their resources are used in the creation of products from which
    > they can derive profits. If they profit and succeed they stay in
    > business. I think a bunch of us jumped on them, but we have to cut
    > them some slack. They have contributed a lot to the community. They
    > have made RHL available for downloads. Many have done just that and
    > utilized the free/survey-sponsored RHN. There is no profit in that for
> [...]
    Ed Croft, RHCE and happy stockholder.

    • Re: FC2 Issues
      ... > sponsored by RedHat, but it is explicitly not a product supported by RedHat. ... RedHat distributes Fedora. ... consisting primarily of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. ... weren't for the many thousands of developers in the community who produce ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Fedora
      ... > licenses I was trying to avoid by moving servers to Red Hat. ... > all a market which, in large part, simply cannot or will not afford WS, ... You know that RedHat is bound by economic realities. ... What exactly is it that Fedora does _not_ provide ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: FC2 doubtful quality?
      ... >> themselves becoming slightly shrill and embattled fanboys, ... Well that is really an issue for RedHat to decide. ... > that red hat might want to be just a wee bit concerned about. ... That is why it is appropriate to explain to people the nature of the Fedora ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Why Red Hat Linux changed its name to Fedora?
      ... Fedora is just the name of their free distro. ... Red Hat themselves stopped producing their free generic home user ... to the redhat clone maintainers "Fedora". ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Deafening silence
      ... I stated a skewer of bugs. ... And this would be the buggy version of Fedora that RHEL Linux could be based on? ... "At the time it seemed Red Hat was timing its Enterprise releases to ... "Google developers began coding the operating system  in ...
      (Fedora)