Re: Problems with NFS directory exports off of RH9 systems

From: Ken Rossman (rossman_at_columbia.edu)
Date: 10/20/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:44:09 -0400

    On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 10:36 AM, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
    > From: "Ken Rossman" <rossman@columbia.edu>
    >> I am working in a mixed environment with Linux, Solaris, MacOSX, and
    >> Windows systems and have been quite frustrated in trying to get
    >> directories exported properly under NFS from the Linux system to
    >> the others. The Linux system appears to export the directories
    >> properly, but I get a long delay and an eventual timeout when I
    >> try to mount Linux-exported dirs from either the Solaris host or
    >> the OSX host...
    >
    > Do you have the nfs ports open on your firewall? My /etc/services file
    > shows that port 2049, both udp and tcp are used for nfs...

    Hmmm, I had thought about the firewall configuration before, but never
    really checked it.

    I just disabled the firewall entirely, and now I get an immediate
    "Permission denied" failure:

       sunhost# mount frankfurt:/export /mnt/frankfurt
       nfs mount: frankfurt:/export: Permission denied

    I am doing the mount above as root, so the "Permission denied" condition
    probably is coming from the server end, not the client end.

    Still a bit baffled.