Re: Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x

From: fred smith (fredex_at_fcshome.stoneham.ma.us)
Date: 10/22/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:56:44 -0400

    On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:53:44AM +0200, Johan Kruger-Haglert wrote:
    > I've been trying to get Linux+apache+php+oracle working here with no
    > success, so I've to ask for some help.
    >
    > Versions:
    > RedHat 9.0
    > PHP 4.3.4RC1
    > Oracle Enterprise Server 9.2.x
    > Oracle client 8.1.7

    I have been unable to get an 8i client to install and/or run on RH9.
    Not that I"m a guru in that regard, but I have spent some hours trying.
    And like you, I've been able to find NO help anywhere on this topic.

    I don't know anything about PHP, so I can't help you with compiling
    it against 9i.

    But you could try this (horrible) kludge:
    install the 9i client, then make symlinks to the various 9i shared
    libs that are named the same as the 8i version of that lib. This
    may allow you to get PHP running. Or maybe not. I did it once upon
    a time for a different app, and it appeared to be working, given
    limited testing. But you can be sure Oracle isn't going to support it!

    > The machine has to run RedHat, and newest version would be good.
    > Oracle9.x doesn't seem to be certified for RedHat9 but I've found guides
    > on how to get it running and it works. PHP is compiled with --with-oci8
    > against the Oracle9.x server, the compilation works but PHP does not.
    > I've set env values in httpd.conf together with the mod_env module
    > without any success, probably because there are no oracle 9 support.
    > I've read that you can use the Oracle 8.x client against a 9.x database
    > and compile PHP against that client instead, but the installation just
    > hangs with a gray window and 100% CPU usage. I've read that it could
    > help to change window manager to fvwm but no success.
    >
    > Any help to either get PHP using Oracle9 or installing Oracle8 on
    > RedHat9 would be appreciated.
    > It would be good if any answers where cced/sent directly to my e-mail
    > address.
    >

    > --

    • Re: Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x
      ... > because php doesn't work with the oracle 9 client. ... But I know for sure that PHP *does* work with Oracle9 client, ... ./runInstaller again and click "Install client" or something like that. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x
      ... Oracle Enterprise Server 9.2.x ... The machine has to run RedHat, and newest version would be good. ... PHP is compiled with --with-oci8 ... without any success, probably because there are no oracle 9 support. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Connect to two different Oracle servers using PHP / Perl ?
      ... Our Oracle DBA installed the Oracle 10g server and ... client on the web server. ... He also installed the Oracle 9i Client ... How can I configure PHP to connect to both? ...
      (comp.databases.oracle.server)
    • Re: Pb Apache / PHP / Oci
      ... The recent binary distributions of PHP on Windows are linked against Oracle ... which means it'll work with a 9i client. ... If you're feeling adventurous you can always compile your own version of the ...
      (comp.databases.oracle.tools)
    • Re: Problems with Oracle 9i / PHP/ Apache
      ... Define the OCI extension logicals if we find the OCI client ... I had spent hours getting PHP ... > and CSWS to work with Oracle 9i and I must've missed a logical name ... > PHP works fine but it just wont talk to Oracle. ...
      (comp.os.vms)