Re: Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x

From: Reuben D. Budiardja (techlist_at_voyager.phys.utk.edu)
Date: 10/22/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:04:24 -0400

    On Wednesday 22 October 2003 10:28 am, Johan Kruger-Haglert wrote:
    > On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:47:19AM -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
    <snip>
    > Yes, oracle 9.2 works like it should, but PHP 4.3.x seems to have no
    > support for it so i wanted to install the oracle 8.x client aswell but
    > it's installer hangs.
    >
    > > I suggest these:
    > > 1. Make sure your Oracle client works and can connect to your oracle
    > > server (assuming you're sure the oracle server works). I don't know if
    > > you can use Oracle8 client for Oracle9 server. But why don't you just use
    > > oracle9 client as well?
    >
    > because php doesn't work with the oracle 9 client.

    Okay. I don't know why or if oracle 8 client + PHP should work with oracle9i
    server. But I know for sure that PHP *does* work with Oracle9 client, since
    I'm using it on this machine (I don't have oracle8 anywhere at all).

    I am no expert at oracle, in fact, last summer was the first time I installed
    Oracle on linux. But what I did, after running oracle installer for the
    server (the ./runInstaller program, that have the Java interface), I run the
    ./runInstaller again and click "Install client" or something like that. I
    think the server itself includes sqlplus, but the "Intall client" will
    install necessary client libs that PHP can use.

    Have you tried that? Is the Oracle server and PHP on the same machine?

    If you try that, just configure PHP with --with-oci8 configure options, and it
    should fine the client automagically, at least in my case it did. If
    configure complains, than we'll look into it (probably at that point PHP
    mailing list is more appropriate). You'd probably be better of not to use
    Oracle 8 client anyway, to make life simpler :)

    BTW, it is also known that Apache 2.x with PHP is still *buggy*, and
    experimental. PHP developers themselves says this, IIRC. So if PHP
    configure+compile works, but web apps don't work, probably look into using
    lastest Apache (I think it's 1.3.27)

    Hope that helps.
    RDB
    <snip>

    --
    Reuben D. Budiardja
    Department of Physics and Astronomy

    • Re: DBD-Oracle 1.19 with Oracle Instant Client 10.2.0.3 on Debian Etch wont install
      ... Currently all my Oracle inst client files are user oracle group oinstall yet lib bin and other dirs have 755 permission so root should be able to access and execute these softlibs. ... As I have written, I have installed DBD::Oracle-1.19 many times with a full client without problem, yet with the limited instant client it does not find the mk file, and the one mk file that the instant client installs does not work. ... It also gives me a makefile for DBD::Oracle but install and test fail ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • RE: :Oracle install problem On Solaris 8
      ... I tried to reinstall the Oracle client. ... To: Hemanth Kumar; Michael Nhan ... Subject: RE::Oracle install problem On Solaris 8 ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • RE: Oracle with ActiveState build 8xx
      ... > 8.1.7.4 client lib, ... I have near zero Oracle ... > libs and the OCI ... > they do install ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • Re: Running oracle 8 or oracle 9 on RedHat9.x
      ... > Oracle Enterprise Server 9.2.x ... I have been unable to get an 8i client to install and/or run on RH9. ... I don't know anything about PHP, so I can't help you with compiling ... > The machine has to run RedHat, and newest version would be good. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Getting DBD::Oracle tests working
      ... Attached is the output from one install attempt. ... I'm having trouble finding your Oracle version number... ... You can use "perl Makefile.PL -V X.Y.Z" to specify a your client version. ... all skipped: no reason given ...
      (perl.dbi.users)