Weird Ports

From: Brett Franck (bfranck_at_perfectnetusa.com)
Date: 10/28/03

    To: <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:53:46 -0600

    Okay since I last wrote about messing up my server with a Chroot jail, things have definately changed.

    I installed RH9 and put it on an IBM Netvista 866 w/384Mg Ram /proc/kcore shows 401477632 Oct 28 11:53 /proc/kcore..... Vs RH8.0 on a junker 450 w/320Mg Ram

    All is running well but I do have one question.....maybe it was this way in RH 8.0, I never noticed, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed an open errant port not assigned to anything.

    netstat -taup shows a UDP port open by XINETD (BY the way, I"m not running anything with xinetd).......I first noticed it because the CHKROOTKIT bawled out an alert when the XINETD port was running on 1008 ... now it's on 923....has been on 979.....etc.....moves when I restart Xinetd.....is this the result of running xinetd as xinetd -stayalive -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
    thus keeping a UDP port open to support the PID?????

    Brett

    • NFS locking
      ... We have a NFS server here with a fairly high load. ... lockd: server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not responding, ... # ACPI Support ... # CD-ROM/DVD Filesystems ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • NFS problems with through 2.5.x to 2.6.0-test9
      ... When the server is running the ... kernel, as a client the 2.6 series seem to work perfectly, excluding ... Interesting problem arose when I attempted switch the server's kernel to ... with and without nfsv4 support compiled in (was considering testing it at ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Timeout Problem after Switching a DAC unit with OSA in the z10
      ... TN3270 server is a good description for the DAC unit. ... using z/OS Communication Server IP system for TN3270 support. ... The second topic relates to your TELNETDEVICE statements. ... Somehow what you specify is converted into one of the "device-type" codes ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
    • RE: Backups, VSS and SBS2003 HELP NEEDED!!!
      ... 2K3 server currently, also, I understand that it is better to have a backup ... Support Professional can assist with your request. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... >> suggest customers Only install Windows Server 2003 SP1 on their server. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: Sharpoint Error in SBS 2003
      ... Have you upgraded the Sharepoint WMSDE to SQL server? ... A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, ... contact Microsoft Product Support ... Please paste all the accurate errors information in the newsgroup. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)