FTP: connection refused

From: Brenden T. (brenden_at_rcsis.com)
Date: 11/14/03

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com, enigma-list@redhat.com
    Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:18:43 -0800

    Hi all, I have a tough problem that hopefully has a not so tough
    solution. I'm trying to setup a simple ftp server on Red Hat 7.2 and I
    can't get beyond "connection" refused when trying to connect externally.
     I've read every FAQ and online guide I can and I can't figure out why.

    The big clue I think is that netstat -a says that ftp is not being
    listened on. /etc/services looks ok to me (ftp is on port 21 for both
    UDP and TCP), I added the ftp service in /etc/xinet.d/ftp and restarted
    xinetd, so I'm not sure what could be inhibiting ftpd. Here's my config
    from /etc/xinet.d/ftp:
    service ftp {
     disable = no
     socket_type = stream
     wait = no
     nice = 10
     user = root
     server = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
     server_args = -l
     instances = 4
     log_on_sucess += DURATION HOST USERID
    }

    I modified /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny too. I wasn't sure
    about hosts.allow so I copied the working nfs stuff to a new line and
    changed it:
    in.ftpd: 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.224
    which is just like the entries for mountd, statd, etc.

    Not sure what else to say. Here's the long story summarized:
    1. Dowloaded wu-ftp and built it with ./configure and make
    2. Created /usr/ftp and the little jail for it to run in.
    3. Check the firewall to make sure it didn't reject ftp.
    4. Made changed to /etc/xinetd.d/ftp above and hosts files.
    5. Restarted xinetd
    There maybe a few other things I did, this is what I recall for now.

    I did a tcpdump trace of the connect attempt, the packets are reaching
    the server and it replies, but the replies are all R (resets). I think
    this is related to the fact that xinetd doesn't think it has something
    to run on port 21 (ftp port).

    Help? What could I be missing?

    • Re: Microsoft FTP Server problem on W2K?
      ... It is a UNISYS ClearPath mainframe system that is trying to FTP using ... passive mode to a MS FTP server. ... Currently the mainframe FTPs in ACTIVE mode. ... Since the mainframe pushes files to our customers over a WAN connection, ...
    • RE: FTP Upload
      ... FTP server to the following specified size. ... //set or get the remote path of the FTP server that you want to connect. ... //set the class MessageString. ...
    • Re: FTP Upload
      ... FTP server to the following specified size. ... //set or get the remote path of the FTP server that you want to connect. ... //set the class MessageString. ...
    • RE: vsftpd beginners tutorial?
      ... # This file was created to illustrate the steps needed to create a new FTP ... Why vsftpd as this FTP Server? ... System software customization considerations. ... User and Group Configuration ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: IPSwitch, Inc. WS_FTP Server
      ... > bounce attack as well as PASV connection hijacking. ... > The FTP bounce vulnerability allows a remote attacker to cause the ... > anonymously along with any internal addresses that the FTP server has ... That means it's got to handle a PORT ...
      (Bugtraq)