RE: permissions and the /etc/skel directory

From: Chris W. Parker (
Date: 01/05/04

    To: <>
    Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:46:44 -0800

    Pete Nesbitt <>
        on Saturday, January 03, 2004 1:26 PM said:

    > useradd always sets ownership to the new dirs & files to the new user.
    > It sounds like you may want to look at sgid to set the default group
    > ownership so group members can all access all files. You should man
    > chmod & look for sgid for more info.

    uh oh. that sounds a little too complicated for me... how about this? i
    create a script to automagically do this for me?

    i've never written a shell script but i imagine it would do the

    1. accept one piece of information: username
    2. perform the following commands:

    # useradd $username
    # cd /home/$username
    # chown .apache . www/
    # chmod 770 . www/
    # passwd $username <some_default_password>

    3. exit

    this way i can create the new user AND have the correct permissions.
    this should work right?

    redhat-list mailing list