Re: Trouble with GRUB and multiple HD's

From: Harry Hoffman (hhoffman_at_ip-solutions.net)
Date: 02/08/04

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Sat,  7 Feb 2004 19:26:06 -0500

    Hi,

    Yes, it really is md0. My / partition is a RAID1 of md0. Mountpoints are as follows:
    / md0 (/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb1)
    /var md1 (/dev/sda3,/dev/sdb2)
    swap md2 (/dev/sda5,/dev/sdb3)
    /boot (/dev/sda1)
    /export (/dev/hda1)

    I'm trying to install GRUB to the MBR of /dev/hda because that disk is
    recognizable by the BIOS.

    Cheers,
    Harry

    Quoting Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com>:

    *> ^^^
    *> Is this a typo or is it really md0? Don't you want /dev/hda1 here? That
    *> may be your problem.
    *>
    *> Mark
    *>
    *> --
    *> Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.
    *>
    *>
    *> --
    *> redhat-list mailing list
    *> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
    *>

    --
    Harry Hoffman
    hhoffman@ip-solutions.net

    • Re: Support HDIO_GETGEO on device-mapper volumes
      ... grub used HDIO_GETGEO when running under Linux. ... There's the translation that the BIOS (and thus DOS, PartitionMagic, ... disk in a compatible way. ... the MBR values are not guaranteed to be correct if you want ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Support HDIO_GETGEO on device-mapper volumes
      ... most of the time these days the bogus values do match the bios values. ... If grub is using HDIO_GETGEO then yea, it should just use the geometry in the MBR instead. ... It should assume that the values stored in the MBR already are correct, since if they weren't, the system wouldn't boot anyhow, and use those rather than ask the kernel. ... disk in a compatible way. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: I just tried to install XP on an HP ME machine
      ... in the bios that says 95, ... Is there a hardware reason I can't install XP on the ME machine? ... problem seems to be the MBR and its contents. ... sector at the beginning of the disk. ...
      (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
    • Re: MBR Trashed
      ... First be more concerned with why the MBR got trashed. ... Disk type got changed in BIOS? ... BIOS setting would only make things worse. ... Bad technique is to fix things before learning what ...
    • [NEWS] BIOS ACPI DoS
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... A vulnerability in ACPI BIOS ... There is a programming error in the BIOS when the Master Boot Record (MBR) ... Where the active partition is not described in the ...
      (Securiteam)