Re: spam filters

From: Craig Daters (craig_at_westpress.com)
Date: 02/13/04

    To: redhat-list@redhat.com
    Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:55:37 -0700

    Hi Linda,

    I looked to procmail to filter spam too, but I found a solution which
    takes care of all of that by using MailScanner
    (http://www.mailscanner.info) This program uses other tools to scan
    for viruses and spam (dangerous content), is quick and has low
    overhead. It integrates all these programs that you never know you
    have so many tools working together. So with MailScanner, I am also
    using:

    a) SpamAssassin 2.63 (www.spamassassin.org) - using the RPM's available there
    b) Active Spam Killer 2.4.1 (www.paganini.net/ask/) - a
    challenge/confirmation system.
    c) ClamAV 0.65 (www.clamav.net) for virus scanning
    d) MailWatch (mailwatch.sourceforge.net) - web frontend for
    MailScanner (very cool!)

    I had been running just Sendmail, and was using RBL to filter our
    spam. I was getting more and more false positives this way, and
    somehow more and more spam was getting through.

    I installed ASK (Active Spam Killer) and instantly, spam was no
    longer an issue. Users can monitor and configure thier Queue and
    White/Black/Ignore lists via email. This was a godsend and installed
    in like 15 minutes!

    Then MyDoom hit, some of our machines became virus infected. I had
    seen MailScanner before, and wrongly thinking that this was a Virus
    Scanner at the MTA level. I downloaded it and then learned that it
    was so much more. Excited about it, I had it installed and running in
    about an hour (including SpamAssassin!) I then downloaded and
    installed ClamAV, set it up to auto update every few hours.

    I then learned of MailWatch (I don't remember where) and downloaded
    and installed this. This is great because now I can monitor incoming
    mail and see that MailScanner is actually working. With it, you can
    teach SpamAssassin what is or is not Spam and this has really helped.
    MailWatch is really worth having.

    The whole system was a breeze to set up. Maintaining it is even
    easier. I don't know how we got by without it. Needless to say, I
    have ditched the RBL system altogether.

    Kind regards,

    Craig D.

    Craig Daters (craig@westpress.com)
    Systems Administrator
    West Press Printing
    1663 West Grant Road
    Tucson, Arizona 85745-1433
    Tel: 520-624-4939
    Fax: 520-624-2715
    www.westpress.com
    believed to be clean.

    • Re: Spam problem!
      ... You can configure mailscanner to compare senders against known lists ... After that user1 and user2 get spam letters to their ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: newbie: mailscanners
      ... I've just installed mailscanner on a sun cobalt raq4 and discovered it doesn't actually block or delete anything, it just labels the subject line with {SPAM}. ... Correct, however the score levels and actions are configurable, if the OP used a modern version or even read the config file of the one he/she has, they'd have seen that, on high score spam I set to delete, on low score spam I set to 'deliver,attachment' which delivers the 'suspected spam' as an attached mail message to a warning message, it is very foolish to delete low scored spam, beause so much legitimate spam still arrives and gets marked as such, spamassasin is terrific, but its not perfect. ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • Re: Corrupt MBOX
      ... This happens when SPAM has bad headers. ... > Install pine and try reading it using pine. ... MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Spam Filter
      ... >> Look into procmail for filtering. ... MailScanner+SpamAssassin with Bayes and SA Custom rules is just as ... Add MailWatch and Active Spam Killer ... http://www.mailscanner.info/install/spamassassin.shtml - MailScanner ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Spam problem!
      ... There are many ways to combat spam. ... You can configure mailscanner to compare senders against known lists of SPAMers, in addition to it's own rules. ... After that user1 and user2 get spam letters to their ...
      (freebsd-questions)