updating apps using rh8.0

From: bruce (bedouglas_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 03/11/04

    To: <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:03:06 -0800

    hi...

    In trying to do an update of mysql, we're running into issues. We have
    rh8.0, using gnome as the windowing system. We're doing the updates
    remotely.

    When trying to use the gnome "package manager", it's looking to access the
    ISO file information in the CD. If possible, we'd like to be able to simply
    point to a directory with the files...

    We tried to do a manual update and totally blew it! We ran into a
    continuing problem with dependencies for the apps that appeared to be
    circular.

    So.. The question, is there some way/(command line app) that we should use
    to perform the updates. We've seen reference to "app-get" but can't seem to
    find the app for RH8.0.

    If someone has any insight/suggestions, we're happy to take them.

    Thanks for any assistance with this.

    Regards,

    Bruce
    bedouglas@earthlink.net