Re: Upgrade Shrike to EL AS v3 failed

From: Ed Wilts (ewilts_at_ewilts.org)
Date: 04/07/04

    Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 06:38:42 -0500
    To: golharam@umdnj.edu, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 02:22:19PM -0400, Ryan Golhar wrote:
    > I just performed an upgrade of a RedHat 9 server to RedHat Enterprise
    > Linux AS v3 and it looks like it went okay.

    This isn't supported and I'm surprised you got this far.

    > When I look at /etc/redhat-release, it says "Red Hat Linux release 9
    > (Shrike)" though. When I type in 'uname -a' is says I'm using
    > 2.4.21-9.EL kernel. I then ran rhn_register again to see what would
    > happen, and it still thinks its RedHat 9.

    Pretty much everything is driven from the redhat-release file. Install
    the redhat-release rpm (it's CD 1 I think) and run up2date again. You
    should (hopefully) be able to pick up the rest of the stuff that didn't
    happen right.

    --
    Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
    mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org

    • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
      ... people who "support" Linux really only install stock distros. ... Debian is simply not drama queen. ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... U2, RedHat and SuSE: ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
      ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... asked to work with an MV system over any distro except RedHat. ... And the only Linux distro mentioned on the QM download page is RedHat: ... hardware to test my clients' MondoRescue DVD's. ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?
      ... When I purchased Redhat 7.3 they sent me an email 2 weeks after I ... installer screen was offset on all of them. ... expect more from a "commercial" Linux distribution. ... I hope one day a Linux distro is actually that, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: New laptop/Linux
      ... confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. ... "Community" version of RedHat. ... It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. ... the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros ...
      (comp.os.linux.portable)