Re: Sendmail and client smtp auth

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz (rpaiz_at_simpaticus.com)
Date: 04/19/04

    Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:34:44 -0600
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    At 10:06 4/19/2004, you wrote:
    >Running on RH8 with all updates. I want to allow relaying for my roaming
    >users but I do not want to become an open relay. I have read faq's
    >about sasl but I see that this is allready installed in redhat. What do I
    >need to change or configure so I can have smtp client authentication for
    >sending their mail?

    If you do not need/want secure (encrypted) authentication, then my
    "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" will solve your problem in less than 15 minutes.
    Using PLAIN or LOGIN authentication is not an additional risk since you are
    already sending passwords in the clear for POP/IMAP; however, you may
    someday want to encrypt both SMTP and POP/IMAP for much better security.

    You can reach this document, and a few others, from:

    http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

    Cheers,

    --
    Rodolfo J. Paiz