Re: Sendmail and client smtp auth

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz (rpaiz_at_simpaticus.com)
Date: 04/19/04

    Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:34:44 -0600
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    At 10:06 4/19/2004, you wrote:
    >Running on RH8 with all updates. I want to allow relaying for my roaming
    >users but I do not want to become an open relay. I have read faq's
    >about sasl but I see that this is allready installed in redhat. What do I
    >need to change or configure so I can have smtp client authentication for
    >sending their mail?

    If you do not need/want secure (encrypted) authentication, then my
    "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" will solve your problem in less than 15 minutes.
    Using PLAIN or LOGIN authentication is not an additional risk since you are
    already sending passwords in the clear for POP/IMAP; however, you may
    someday want to encrypt both SMTP and POP/IMAP for much better security.

    You can reach this document, and a few others, from:

    http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

    Cheers,

    --
    Rodolfo J. Paiz
    rpaiz@simpaticus.com

    • sendmail client side smtp authentication problem
      ... sendmail client side smtp authentication problem ... made and installed cf, restarted sendmail, ... # Resolve map (to check if a host exists in check_mail) ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Outlook could not logon to the outgoing mail server - Exchange server
      ... In the Exchange System Manager go to the SMTP Protocol --> Default ... Based on my experience,I think The root cause is your smtp server have been ... configured to require authentication,but your outlook 2003 and outlook ... express authentication are not being configured on the client. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Exchange SMTP Hole?
      ... Maybe authenticated SMTP using some weak credentials? ... A worrisome new kind of attack is making the rounds on the ... 2000 Server have relaying turned off by default!" ... authentication on any SMTP virtual server that faces the Internet. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: PLUG: PMAS
      ... analogue cellphones, it won't work for analogue TV, why should SMTP be any ... There are two forms of this Simple Authentication ... MTAS and SMTP-AUTH + TLS between MUAs and MTAs. ... Again SMTP provides similar mechanisms through the use of either S/MIME or PGP. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] RDP and security
      ... administrators can choose to encrypt the data using a 56- ... a non-Windows authentication ... > Windows 2003 Server may fixed the issue. ... > design flaw that supposedly hasn't been fixed (ie. server ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)