Re: installing SSH

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz (rpaiz_at_simpaticus.com)
Date: 04/27/04

    Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:30:56 -0600
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    At 10:16 4/27/2004, you wrote:
    >I am installing SSH on my RHEL server. I did the ./configure part, but
    >when I do a "make install" command, it says it cannot find a compiler..
    >any ideas where I can get one?

    Installing from source is usually not the best way, *especially* if you are
    using RHEL. Since you already have a secure, supported platform, use the
    tools it gives you. Simply log in as root and type:

    # up2date openssh

    It will download, install, and configure the package properly and will
    resolve any dependencies automatically. Note that there are different
    packages for client and server; you can see the list of packages with:

    # up2date --showall | grep openssh

    Cheers,

    --
    Rodolfo J. Paiz
    rpaiz@simpaticus.com

    • Re: Where is Phobos P430 QFE X1034A Driver
      ... The following packages are available: ... Installing Phobos P430 Adapter Driver for 32 bit PCI QuadPort ... devfsadm: driver failed to attach: pqfe ...
      (comp.sys.sun.admin)
    • Re: Why no R in Fedora (was Statistical Package (like Minitab) for Linux)
      ... > The fedora rpm provided at the CRAN site contains very few add-on ... > packages would provide a large amount of functionality. ... > Users can easily install.packageson top of this more stuff from CRAN. ... > I always seem to end up installing a few packages eg. lineno, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: OpenCOBOL/GNUCobol
      ... Did you compile the compiler AND run make check ... packages and it can never seem to resolve all the conflicts. ... GNU Cobol MAY require the following external library to be installed: ... NOTE - libltdl is NOT needed when installing on Linux, ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)
    • Re: Linux/Python Issues
      ... It doesn't suck if you're just installing one program, ... tool to retrieve packages, but then the developers got "feature envy" ... you've got to face the problem that your distribution isn't going to ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: Simple HowTo
      ... compile your own packages from source and not use the packages as ... hard disk before installing software. ... and security updates quite simply. ...
      (Fedora)