Re: RHEL3 - port re-direct problems

From: Robert C Paulsen Jr (robert_at_paulsenonline.net)
Date: 05/09/04

    To: Kevin Passey <kev@kdpsoftware1.demon.co.uk>, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 07:05:45 -0500

    On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 06:48, Kevin Passey wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to redirect requests on port 80 to 8080 (using tomcat)
    >
    > I have set up a file in xinetd.d that looks like this:-
    >
    > service tomcat
    > {
    > socket_type = stream
    > protocol = tcp
    > user = root
    > wait = no
    > port = 80
    > redirect = localhost 8080
    > disable = no
    > }
    >
    > Now this works in RHEL2 but not in 3 any ideas??

    See
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=tomcat+redirect++port&btnG=Google+Search

    Also, I don't think you want to run tomcat from xinetd (or inetd). One
    of the reasons for using tomcat is to avoid having to start a whole new
    process with a whole new JVM for each request (but I don't know your
    situation so for you it might be quite reasonable).