Re: VS-FTPD Configuration Issue

From: Ed Wilts (ewilts_at_ewilts.org)
Date: 05/11/04

    Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:54:25 -0500
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 06:01:12PM +0100, mlists@tdbnetworks.org wrote:
    > I'm currently in the process of setting up a ftp server using vs-ftpd
    > unfortunately I'm having a bit of a problem in that I need to pass urls to
    > various files to customers through a html page.
    >
    > The files in question will all be under the same directory structure for
    > each customer however each customer will have there own account with private
    > and general file storage areas.

    This is where the fun starts.

    > The problem is as followes if I tell a customer to access the url
    > ftp://ftp.bobsfilestore.com then IE attempts to connect to that host,
    > prompts for login details and then displays there personal file area,

    IE doesn't handle authenticated very easily. The RFCs actually say that
    if you do not pass a username/password in the url, then anonymous FTP is
    used. Unfortunately that's not what you want.

    IE and FTP just don't mix very well. Use a real FTP client and you'll
    be far better off.

    For our environment at work, we're having a serious look at beehive
    (www.thebeehive.com) which layers on top of a Linux server. It seems to
    make a lot of things simpler. It's not open source but it isn't very
    pricey either (for an enterprise).

    --
    Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
    mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org

    • As my customer says it is an odd problem - is it DST, DNS or what? (long)
      ... customer reported it and my apologies for the length. ... The SCO machine has no other email function than standard system mail ... servers on their windows system (which is the main connection plus a router and ... Machine to a Windows machine via and ftp script using Windows ftp. ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • RE: Mitigate FTP
      ... Yes, using ssh/sftp will help; ... For your customer base, I assume they are mostly Windows users; ... Security may be able to fine tune the threshold accordingly. ... Subject: Mitigate FTP ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: To Serve FTP or Not to Serve that is the question!!
      ... It sounds simple but getting ftp to work with custom ports is a little ... tricky to maintain because active/passive modes and client and fireall ... Customer knows he trusts some Clients and Vendors. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Mitigate FTP
      ... reasoning as to using FTP: ... Protocols like ftp is really governed by our customer request, ... On our IPS and IDS we have reduced the security level slightly as our ... Security Trends Report from Cenzic ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: How do we use SSH to FTP a file from our site over the Internet unattended?, pcumming
      ... > to FTP the EDI files across the Internet. ... I believe the customer has ... If forced we could use a Windows box as the ... SSH does not support FTP. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)