Re: VS-FTPD Configuration Issue

From: Ed Wilts (ewilts_at_ewilts.org)
Date: 05/11/04

    Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:54:25 -0500
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 06:01:12PM +0100, mlists@tdbnetworks.org wrote:
    > I'm currently in the process of setting up a ftp server using vs-ftpd
    > unfortunately I'm having a bit of a problem in that I need to pass urls to
    > various files to customers through a html page.
    >
    > The files in question will all be under the same directory structure for
    > each customer however each customer will have there own account with private
    > and general file storage areas.

    This is where the fun starts.

    > The problem is as followes if I tell a customer to access the url
    > ftp://ftp.bobsfilestore.com then IE attempts to connect to that host,
    > prompts for login details and then displays there personal file area,

    IE doesn't handle authenticated very easily. The RFCs actually say that
    if you do not pass a username/password in the url, then anonymous FTP is
    used. Unfortunately that's not what you want.

    IE and FTP just don't mix very well. Use a real FTP client and you'll
    be far better off.

    For our environment at work, we're having a serious look at beehive
    (www.thebeehive.com) which layers on top of a Linux server. It seems to
    make a lot of things simpler. It's not open source but it isn't very
    pricey either (for an enterprise).

    --
    Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
    mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org