Re: autofs errors AS3 server Sun client

From: Jeffrey A. St. Pierre (Jasp2_at_Colorado.EDU)
Date: 05/14/04

    Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:49:19 -0600 (MDT)
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Wed, 12 May 2004, Jeffrey A. St. Pierre wrote:

> [...]
    > that worries me is the errors that are filling up my
    > /var/log/messages on the Redhat Server:
    >
    > May 12 09:04:03 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
    > mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
    > May 12 09:04:03 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
    > specified.
    > May 12 09:04:25 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
    > mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
    > May 12 09:04:25 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
    > specified.
    > May 12 09:04:47 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
    > mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
    > May 12 09:04:47 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
    > specified.
    > May 12 09:23:46 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
    > mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
    > May 12 09:23:46 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
    > specified.
    >
    > where <servername> is my Redhat AS Relion server
    >
    > As you may have guessed "stack" is the name of the project. It
    > automounts under /project/stack as per /etc/auto_master and
    > /etc/auto_proj. These errors crop up continuously. When he
    > actually runs code on the Sun client these messages spool every
    > 15 seconds or so on my linux server. Needless to say, by the
    > time I transfer 100 or so projects over to the RAID, my messages
    > file is going to overflow /var/log.
    >
    > These are my settings on the linux server:
    >
    > rpms:
    > kernel-smp-2.4.21-9.0.3.EL
    > kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.1
    > nfs-utils-1.0.6-7.EL
    > autofs-3.1.7-41
    >
    > /etc/exports:
    > /export/rd01 aaa.bbb.ccc.0/255.255.255.0(rw,async)
    > ## Note: sync tried, results the same.
    >
    > where aaa.bbb.ccc.0 is my class C subnet
    >
    > and my settings on the Sun client:
    >
    > kernel patch level:
    > 5.8 Generic_108528-27
    >
    > /etc/auto_master:
    >
    > # Master map for automounter
    > #
    > +auto_master
    > #/net -hosts -nosuid
    > /autohome /etc/auto_home -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
    > /homes /etc/auto_users -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
    > /projects /etc/auto_proj -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
    > /misc /etc/auto_misc -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
    > /- /etc/auto_direct
    >

    > /etc/auto_proj (Abbreviated entry):
    >
    > # Home directory map for automounter
    > # RCS: {$Id: auto_proj,v 1.161 2004/05/11 20:10:46 root Exp $}
    > #
    > +auto_proj
    > stack -rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 \
    > <servername>.Colorado.EDU:/export/rd01/&
    >

    > So... does anyone see possible errors in my setup that would
    > cause these bizzare error messages? This is very critical,
    > because I have to get things moved to the new server, but I can't
    > have a 50GB messages file in 1 day, and also it forbodes worse
    > things to come. I'm assuming I just have something setup wrong.

    This is a self-reply. I have gotten a little closer to solving
    this issue, but I am still lacking some info.

    OK... what I have discovered is that this is not a Sun/Linux
    issue. I can generate the errors from a linux box as well.
    Essentially If I execute '/usr/bin/quota -v' on a client system
    then the redhat nfs server spawns this error for each remotely
    mounted directory:

     rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem mountpoint for directory
     /export/rd01/stack
     rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint specified.

    Is this being caused because the client does not have an
    /export/rd01/stack directory ( it automounts this directory
    under /projects/stack)? If so why does the error appear in the
    server logs an not on the client?

    As I have about 100 projects that I need to move to this server,
    that's going to be a lot of error messages. I guess I could just
    turn rquotad off, but it is started up in the nfs init script,
    which would mean commenting it out of that script rather than
    just using chkconfig to turn it off. I think the other option
    may be just to deny rquota connections in /etc/hosts.deny. Does
    anyone agree with this or have another idea to figure out why
    this is giving this error message?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    • Errors writing large files via NFS
      ... files larger than a certain size to a NFS server. ... client systems, although the definition of "too large" varies. ... network paths involved, I'm pretty sure we're not seeing a network problem. ...
      (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
    • Re: Still getting NFS client locking up
      ... > the same NFS lockups. ... > Reading from the server works perfectly all the time. ... > NFS CLIENT: ... in particular, look at traces for any client blocked in NFS, ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Bugs in mkfs.xfs, device mapper, xfs, and /dev/ram
      ... it gets the first ENOSPC error back from the server at around 1.5GB ... the data that gets ENOSPC errors is ... I'm no great expert but isn't this a design flaw in NFS? ... corruption because the NFS client thinks it has written the data ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [OT] Real time systems, was: Re: What is the draw of VMS?
      ... your nfs clients are going to hang. ... You can tell NFS to do soft mounts, if you find this acceptable, but the cost is data corruption. ... probing the server and running the highest level available. ... My client programs gets stuck until the server is back. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac.
      ... Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac. ... I've got an nfs server that's refusing to mount one client - via one ... That elimintes NFS on the client, and -most- of the NFS config on the ...
      (freebsd-questions)