help with regular expression (for spam catching)

From: Chris W. Parker (
Date: 06/04/04

    Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:23:02 -0700
    To: <>

    i have no idea what this would be called or if it's even possible with
    one line of a regex so that's why i'm coming to the list.

    everyone can identify words like:

    but how do you identify those same words when random punctuation is
    thrown in?

    is it possible for a regular expression to do something like the

    1. first identify the following string:
    2. then check to see if there are any of the following characters in
    there somewhere:

    i guess you *could* do something like the following:

    but that just seems overly complicated... ?

    any suggestions?

    redhat-list mailing list

    • Re: Standard C Library regex performance issue
      ... except for the number of characters you have to type in. ... To specify more than one option, "or" them together with the | operator: ... By default, Python's regex engine only considers the letters A through Z, the ... The above implies that Pyhton's newline mode is *ON* by default. ...
    • Re: Help with Regex (UserName, Email)
      ... I have a feeling you haven't tried regex till now, ... If Name = ALL recurring characters, excluding spacing, ... ShowMessage: Please re-enter the Name again. ...
    • Re: matching ? in a string ending with digits
      ... for my $item (@arr) { ... what other characters will fail to match in a string ... regex to fail as mentioned. ...
    • Re: Regex question
      ... I didn't know the range would be that much different from SQL ... The problem is that my regex only gets ... should write a regex pattern that matches _that_, ... remove all the characters from the string that aren't digits or '/' ...
    • Re: Usename regex
      ... which have alphanumberic characters and one underscore. ... From what I understand is I can use a regex to do this. ... Think of a string, preferably very long that contains only alphanumeric characters, but end in a # sign. ...