Re: Read Only File System

From: Henry Axelrod (AxelrodH_at_emigrant.com)
Date: 06/08/04

    To: <halln@otc.edu>, <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:03:01 -0400

    You can do this by creating a sepreate partition or drive to mount for
    that fs. When you add the entry to /etc/fstab you can place "ro" in the
    options column. For Example:

    LABEL=/home /home ext3 ro 1 1

    The preceding line will mount the home directory as read only. You will
    of course have to remeber to label the partition as /home. You will also
    probably want to add more options then just read only. This is just an
    example.

    >>> halln@otc.edu 6/8/2004 3:44:25 PM >>>
    I am working a creating a remote log server using RedHat Advanced
    Server 3.
    I would like to be able to make an entire file system read only where
    root
    can't even change the contents. Does anybody know of a way to do
    this?

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Nathaniel Hall

    Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician

    Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

    417-799-0552

    LEGAL NOTICE
    Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential
    and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only.
    Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.
    If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the
    contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in
    reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an
    addressee, please inform the sender immediately, then delete this
    message and empty from your trash.

    • Re: Trying to Mount New 2-Gig Zenstone MP3 Player
      ... and I haven't been able to mount it to save my soul. ... ZEN STONE FAT32 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: undo rm deleteing /etc very urgent
      ... I got the HD and connect it as slave HD and mount it then I ... > filesystem /etc was stored on. ... And that is to grab the FC install ... To unsubscribe: http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list -- ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Cant read any DVD, and cant mount the dvd drive
      ... mount: special device /dev/sdc0 does not exist ... I guess I will have some work tomorrow and will change the dvd drives to see ... Modify settings or unsubscribe at: ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: SUDO
      ... the pre-lvm era], and it contains a partition hda16, and I must put it ... drive is to use the "offset" parameter of mount. ... separate things (operating system from data, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: mounting a dvdrw
      ... so you're burning an image or something to a blank dvdrw. ... burnt prior to mounting it, which could be an iso image, a copy of a ... Once mounted, you can cd into the mount point (typcically /media/cdrom1 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)