Re: sendmail and "sender domain must exist" error

From: Timothy Stone (citylists_at_petmystone.com)
Date: 06/17/04

    Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:01:54 -0400
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

    > At 07:01 6/17/2004, Timothy Stone wrote:
    >
    >> So while our network provider has DNS records for things like www and
    >> the "harrisburgpa.gov" record is out there for querying, but "psyche"
    >> and "mail" are only known internally.
    >

    > Quickest and simplest (and most correct) way is to get your network
    > provider to add an A record pointing to your mailserver's IP address,
    > and also an MX record directing mail for that domain to your mailserver.
    > You do have a public IP address for your mail server, right?

    I believe that is my problem. This server is not on the public net here.

    It's not a matter of having the network provider adding an MX record, I
    can have that done quickly (I'm in charge of that), its that if I add an
    MX record it's not going to point to a mail server, and that is
    something my network admin won't have/allow, if only for her FUD about
    Linux.

    While "harrisburgpa.gov" has a public zone file, it does not have an MX
    record or an A record for "mail" or other such name. Only "www" as those
    servers are the only ones exposed on the public net.

    So, how do I turn sendmail into a relay for outgoing mail? Or whatever
    that is called. :)

    Many thanks,
    Tim

    --
    /**
      * Timothy Stone  . www.petmystone.com
      * Harrisburg PA  . javafueled at petmystone.com
      * USA            . coffee fueled macintosh zealot
      *
      * "This Satan's drink [coffee] is so
      *  delicious, we shall cheat Satan and
      *  baptize it."
      *  --Pope Clement VIII
      */

    • OT: Postfix rejects from Freebsd server
      ... completed a major changeover in network provider, ... proper static ip including ptr records for my mail server (the only ... YET I still get deferred rejection from the freebsd mx's. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: OT: Postfix rejects from Freebsd server
      ... completed a major changeover in network provider, ... proper static ip including ptr records for my mail server (the only ... the FreeBSD mail server. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: OT: Postfix rejects from Freebsd server
      ... completed a major changeover in network provider, ... proper static ip including ptr records for my mail server (the only ... YET I still get deferred rejection from the freebsd mx's. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: sendmail and "sender domain must exist" error
      ... >So while our network provider has DNS records for things like www and the ... Quickest and simplest way is to get your network ... also an MX record directing mail for that domain to your mailserver. ...
      (RedHat)