Re: sendmail and "sender domain must exist" error

From: Timothy Stone (citylists_at_petmystone.com)
Date: 06/17/04

    Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:01:54 -0400
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

    > At 07:01 6/17/2004, Timothy Stone wrote:
    >
    >> So while our network provider has DNS records for things like www and
    >> the "harrisburgpa.gov" record is out there for querying, but "psyche"
    >> and "mail" are only known internally.
    >

    > Quickest and simplest (and most correct) way is to get your network
    > provider to add an A record pointing to your mailserver's IP address,
    > and also an MX record directing mail for that domain to your mailserver.
    > You do have a public IP address for your mail server, right?

    I believe that is my problem. This server is not on the public net here.

    It's not a matter of having the network provider adding an MX record, I
    can have that done quickly (I'm in charge of that), its that if I add an
    MX record it's not going to point to a mail server, and that is
    something my network admin won't have/allow, if only for her FUD about
    Linux.

    While "harrisburgpa.gov" has a public zone file, it does not have an MX
    record or an A record for "mail" or other such name. Only "www" as those
    servers are the only ones exposed on the public net.

    So, how do I turn sendmail into a relay for outgoing mail? Or whatever
    that is called. :)

    Many thanks,
    Tim

    --
    /**
      * Timothy Stone  . www.petmystone.com
      * Harrisburg PA  . javafueled at petmystone.com
      * USA            . coffee fueled macintosh zealot
      *
      * "This Satan's drink [coffee] is so
      *  delicious, we shall cheat Satan and
      *  baptize it."