Re: iptables and mysql...

From: Crucificator (crucificator_at_home.ro)
Date: 07/06/04

    Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:48:36 +0300
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    Jason Dixon wrote:

    > On Jul 5, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Crucificator wrote:
    >
    >> Jason Dixon wrote:

    >>> If you're concerned with data sniffing in transit, you might also
    >>> consider one of the following:
    >>>
    >>> - tunnelling your client connections through SSH
    >>> - MySQL-4.x supports SSL connections with x.509 certificates
    >>

    >> mostly when you put up a mysql server you need it for building
    >> dynamic pages with php let's say. So when you do such thing you only
    >> need to allow connections from localhost because connection is made
    >> from server-side. If this doesn't apply to you then you should check
    >> out stunnel.
    >

    > I suggest you reserve your comments for threads where you have
    > sufficient experience. Most DBA's are probably giggling at your
    > comment. Real web applications routinely (more often than not)
    > segregate their data store on separate (redundant) servers. Using SSL
    > connections in addition to x.509 certs provides not only encryption,
    > but authentication as well.
    >
    > --
    > Jason Dixon, RHCE
    > DixonGroup Consulting
    > http://www.dixongroup.net

    Dear Jason, most NA are probably giggling at your comment. I currently
    administer such a server wich serves tunneled dynamic HTTP for SQL for
    42 locations country-wide. We DO NOT have redundant servers. Have you
    heard of RAID solutions? And it saves bandwidth, time and money as well.
    I believe the lack of experience lies elsewere...