Re: DVD Burning Problem

From: Benjamin J. Weiss (benjamin_at_Weiss.name)
Date: 08/02/04

    Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:30:31 -0500 (CDT)
    To: oliver.ignacio@voxred.com, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Oliver Ignacio wrote:

    > Here's the scenario, I'm backing up some files into a DVD using an
    > automated script. The script just takes the database entries as well as
    > the files associated with them, and transfers them into the DVD. As I'm
    > backing up, I'm pulling up the recording.log to make sure that it's
    > backing up. It goes through and makes a file list of all the files on
    > the directory, then procceeds with burning the files. When it gets to
    > about 32-34 percent the program closes the DVD. To my knowledge the
    > script doesn't have anything keeping the dvd from backing up only 32-34%
    > of the data.
    <snip>

    Oliver,

    Two things:

    1) Are you using a DVD+/-RW? IIRC, dvdrecord has a hard time with
    DVD+/-RW media.

    2) Why not use mondo-archive? I'm using it to backup to DVD+RW. I get a
    hickup about every other week, but other than that it works just fine,
    with the added benefit of having my restore media being bootable.

    if you decide to try out mondo, let me know and I'd be happy to post a
    sanitized copy of my backup script.

    Ben

    • DVD Burning Problem
      ... The script just takes the database entries as well as ... and transfers them into the DVD. ... backing up, I'm pulling up the recording.log to make sure that it's ... Writing: Primary Volume Descriptor Start Block 16 ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Different thread (Was: Re: suse 9.1 upgrade)
      ... taking that I touched mutt 10 years ago. ... Open few terminals, edit script in one, run test in ... > 2) making a DVD iso from an avi according to ... Put all steps in script. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: burning DVD failure
      ... The script showed me 3 devices, ... I just attempted to burn a DVD on my DELL GX-280 with 2Gb of RAM, ... The recorder or the media cannot write ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
    • digital camcorder to DVD HOWTO [was: kino, is it working ?]
      ... camcorder to DVD. ... my dvgrab script a few messages ago. ... # faster encoding, slightly unusual MPEG2 ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: burning DVD failure
      ... I used this script to determine the DVD mount parameters: ... The one with RW properties is DVD+ RW DVD8631. ... When I mentioned the "hollow" media it was after I tried to use Windows ... Media Player to burn a different image, also an MSDN download, also a huge ...
      (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)