Re: Redhat 9 and IP Masquerading

From: Stuart Sears (
Date: 08/25/04

    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <>
    Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:42:29 +0100

    On Wednesday 25 August 2004 18:14, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
    > Good morning All:
    hi Brian. A bit more info please...
    > I'm trying to setup a Redhat 9 machine to do IP Masquerading on our
    > internal network with a DSL modem. We're using an old Dell PE2300
    > machine that seems to run the OS and X just fine. We've got two NIC's
    > in the box, a Linksys and a Netgear; both are working. I can put the
    > DSL on either card and get out to the world just fine.
    from internal hosts or just from the RH9 box?
    > However, on the internal network I can not see nor ping any host. The
    > internal IP of the machine is (which is the same as the old
    > DSL router that was physically removed). I can't ping anything. I
    > look at an ifconfig -a printout and it shows zero packets received but
    > a whole lot of dropped packets.
    have you turned on ip forwarding on your RH9 box?
    edit /etc/sysctl.conf
    then run sysctl -p
    > I was always under the impression that I should be able to ping the
    > 'router' from the internal network and I can not. I've looked at
    > everything I can think of including 'Security Settings' and made sure
    > that (for now) the firewall is turned off (No Firewall). What else
    > should I be looking at here, any ideas?
    to clarify here:
    you cannot ping the internal IP of your RH9 box, correct?
    or are you trying to ping hosts beyond it?
    what is the default gateway on your internal hosts?
    # netstat -rn
    how are they connected to the RH9 box?

    how have you set up the IP masquerading?

    Lurleen, I can't get your song outta my mind.  I haven't felt this way
    since `Funky Town.'
      -- Homer Simpson
         Colonel Homer
    redhat-list mailing list