GNOME Login Problem

From: Oliver Aaltonen (aaltonen_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/26/04

    Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:48:18 -0400
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    I am experiencing a problem logging onto the GNOME desktop with the
    following setup:

    Server (RHEL3 AS) is exporting /home via NFS and running an LDAP
    server for authentication. Client (RHEL3 WS) is mounting /home via an
    entry in /etc/fstab.

    The mount works fine, and client is set up for LDAP authentication
    correctly. I can log in through the console or SSH into the client
    machine and access the user's home directory and work perfectly
    normally.

    The only problem I have is when I try to log onto the client machine
    using GDM to run X locally. If I log in as one of the users on the
    server, with their home directory in the mounted share, the user is
    authenticated and the screen turns blank with a cursor and sits there,
    not bringing up a GNOME desktop. I can log in through GDM into a
    "failsafe" session, but not GNOME. If I log in as root on the client
    machine, everything works fine, and the GNOME desktop comes up
    correctly.

    There are no obvious errors in the logs that I can find.

    Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

    Oliver

    • SUMMARY: How to authenticate a RHEL client to SunOne 5.2 Directory Server anybody done this???
      ... I got it working by running authconfig on the Linux client and selecting ... LDAP for the authentication. ... Is there anything on the LDAP server I should check?? ... # SSL enabled. ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: Antw: Re: LDAP Authentication Problem
      ... TLSv1 und wird auf einen SSL Client Hello Request mit TLSv1 nicht ... antworten anstatt ein SSLv3 Server Hello. ... the LDAP PAM module and the shadow package. ...
      (de.comp.sys.novell)
    • Re: Kerberized authorization service
      ... whereas the LDAP solution is already what they do. ... the mail server could have an shell group with one ... that the authorization decision is no longer truly centralized. ... Kerberized conduit for passing the data from the client to some backend ...
      (comp.protocols.kerberos)
    • Re: TLS enabled LDAP, clients fail to connect
      ... Is the server cert trusted on the client? ... openldap-sasl-client-2.4.23 Open source LDAP client implementation ... setup a similar SSL enabled LDAP server for a client recently. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Kerberized authorization service
      ... whereas the LDAP solution is already what they do. ... the mail server could have an shell group with one ... While this could no doubt be made to work, it would tie the authorization ... This client and server could conceivably be created ...
      (comp.protocols.kerberos)