GNOME Login Problem

From: Oliver Aaltonen (aaltonen_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/26/04

    Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:48:18 -0400
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    I am experiencing a problem logging onto the GNOME desktop with the
    following setup:

    Server (RHEL3 AS) is exporting /home via NFS and running an LDAP
    server for authentication. Client (RHEL3 WS) is mounting /home via an
    entry in /etc/fstab.

    The mount works fine, and client is set up for LDAP authentication
    correctly. I can log in through the console or SSH into the client
    machine and access the user's home directory and work perfectly
    normally.

    The only problem I have is when I try to log onto the client machine
    using GDM to run X locally. If I log in as one of the users on the
    server, with their home directory in the mounted share, the user is
    authenticated and the screen turns blank with a cursor and sits there,
    not bringing up a GNOME desktop. I can log in through GDM into a
    "failsafe" session, but not GNOME. If I log in as root on the client
    machine, everything works fine, and the GNOME desktop comes up
    correctly.

    There are no obvious errors in the logs that I can find.

    Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

    Oliver