Disk /dev/hde doesn't contain a valid partition table {Scanned}

From: SW (wppiphoto_at_wppi.com)
Date: 09/07/04

    To: "Redhat Support Usergroup" <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:14:12 -0400

    Hi,

    I'm trying to find out how I can go about making sure my new hard drive
    (/dev/hde) is correctly formated and partitioned. This was my 1st time
    adding a hard drive in a linux system and I had a pretty hard time setting
    it up.

    Now, I'm getting the following error when I try to run a backup script to
    this hard drive:

    Disk /dev/hde doesn't contain a valid partition table

    Here is the info for this hard drive:

    # e2fsck /dev/hde
    e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
    /dev/hde: clean, 194/24428544 files, 2871129/48840246 blocks

    #vi /etc/fstab
    /dev/hde /Backups ext3 defaults 1 2

    Can anyone tell me how to go about troubleshooting this problem?

    Thanks,

    SW

            WPPi.com | WPPi.Net
      http://www.wppi.com | http://www.wppi.net

    • Re: Disk /dev/hde doesnt contain a valid partition table {Scanned}
      ... using fdisk and then created a ext3 partition, ... there is no partition on the drive but I can use it just fine: ... > WPPi.com & WPPi.Net MailScanner Signature ... > and has been found to be clean. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Unable to Delete a file
      ... I cannot move it to another partition. ... Freedom OS/2 utility toolset, if needed, to clean out any attributes ... and delete it with Rexx sysdeleteobject. ... this I also go in with Unimaint and/or WPT and clean that up as well. ...
      (comp.os.os2.apps)
    • Re: [OT] Need Computer Geek Advice
      ... a clean install will likely do the trick. ... After transferring the clean data to a location on the new drive you can safely reformat the dirty drive and use it for data storage. ... Something I found useful when I ran windows installs, was to put the OS on it's own partition and my data on another so that when the OS cludged, I could simply reformat the OS partition and reinstall, without worrying about losing my data.. ...
      (alt.guitar.bass)
    • Re: noob fresh xp install
      ... I presume it will show one partition in my case as this is not a new system, ... These instructions are far more detailed. ... but I am going for a clean install. ... > option to format the drive. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: noob fresh xp install
      ... You delete the partition and then create a new one. ... These instructions are far more detailed. ... but I am going for a clean install. ... > option to format the drive. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)