Adding 2 more drives to /proc/stat (totalling 4)

From: Richard Hobbs (richard.hobbs_at_crl.toshiba.co.uk)
Date: 09/08/04

    To: "'General Red Hat Linux discussion list'" <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:17:15 +0100

    Hello,

    Here is /proc/stat on a redhat 8.0 box of mine...

    [root@hostname root]# cat /proc/stat
    cpu 9735 966 80085 9015009
    cpu0 9735 966 80085 9015009
    page 6114210 30206224
    swap 2057 10245
    intr 25241891 9105795 161 0 15 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 12849982 37 0 80230 3205668
    disk_io: (3,0):(78075,20229,370094,57846,1181506)
    (3,1):(2437,2403,80738,34,376)
    ctxt 33475642
    btime 1094565304
    processes 21870
    [root@hostname root]#

    The machine, however, has 4 hard drives:

    [root@hostname root]# cat /etc/fstab
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda7 /data5_1 reiserfs defaults
    1 2
    /dev/hdb1 /data5_2 reiserfs defaults
    1 2
    /dev/hdc1 /data5_3 reiserfs defaults
    1 2
    /dev/hdd1 /data5_4 ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    LABEL=/tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
    LABEL=/usr /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0
    0
    [root@hostname root]#

    How can I get the second two drives into /proc/stat??

    The reason for this is that I'm using HotSaNIC to monitor stuff on this
    machine, like diskio. It can only monitor the first two disks however,
    because it uses /proc/stat as it's source for some information.

    I was under the impression that /proc/stat just contains the first four
    drives, but here it only contains the first two (hda and hdb).

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help...

    Hobbs.

    --
    Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
    Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group

    • Re: how does update-grub choose the root filesystem
      ... The plan is to make a a raid device, copy the current root fs in to it - ... You have to install grub in the MBR of both drives in order to be able ... Grub-install is generally pretty good at installing on both drives in a RAID1 array or all drives in other RAID arrays. ... Update-grub also manages to find OS partitions in just about everything - including non-Linux partitions. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: HEADSUP: geom_vinum committed
      ... it may have been in your case that the root volume failed to mount ... two Vinum test drives. ... plex name usr.p1 org concat vol usr ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Hard drive weirdness.
      ... then I got a grub Error 17: ... I changed root from to ... Now I tried removing both sata drives. ... My problem is that raid ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: user failures
      ... I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something ... to the filter screen, but when I click the apply button, anything I've ... I've nuked /root/kmailrc, and then restarted kmail as root, with no ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Peer to Peer sharing
      ... Windows XP by default created administrative shares for the root folders of the fixed drives of the computer. ... You can create your own shares to share your drives from the root of the drive, but Microsoft highly recommends that you share only the folders that you need to, rather than the entire drive. ... Windows Vista displays the properties for the drive with the Sharing tab selected. ...