Re: Sendmail cannot send to own domain

jason_at_dixongroup.net
Date: 09/10/04

    Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
    To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have many RedHat 8.0 machines here, all of which are running
    > sendmail-8.12.8-9.80.
    >
    > All machines can use their local sendmail to email their local users.
    >
    > Also, all machines can use their local sendmail to email any address on
    > the
    > internet.
    >
    > However... None of the machines can use their local sendmail to email any
    > address on the same domain as the machine itself, for example:
    >
    > The machines are called:
    >
    > host1.sub.domain.com
    > host2.sub.domain.com
    > host3.sub.domain.com
    >
    > Each machine can happily email hobbs at mongeese.co.uk, for example, and
    > each machine can email username@localhost. None of the machines can email
    > username@sub.domain.com though.
    >
    > How can this be setup, and why is it happening? The MX record for
    > sub.domain.com points to our rather old Cobalt Raq mail server.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a way to get sendmail to work properly for our own
    > domain
    > as well??

    I'm not a sendmail person (I prefer Postfix), but the problem and answer
    are both fairly obvious if you think about it for a second. Your users
    are all local to the machine they read their email on. I'm betting that
    "bob@host1.sub.domain.com" could send mail to
    "suzie@host2.sub.domain.com", since they explicitly specify their
    recipient.

    However, you're assuming too much when you drop the hostname from the fqdn
    (fully-qualified domain name), and your primary MX (the Raq) doesn't know
    how to pass on delivery. If you check the maillog on that server, you'll
    probably see a bunch of delivery failures.

    The easiest method would be to add aliases on the Raq for each user in the
    subdomain to point to the server they wish to receive mail on.

    HTH.

    --
    Jason Dixon
    DixonGroup Consulting

    • Re: Changing from using NIS to DNS
      ... This message sent from BlackBerry Enterprise Server. ... We need to get our redhat WS V3 machines resolving machine names from the ...
      (RedHat)
    • Problem with NTP.
      ... I have a new Redhat version 4 server that was built last week. ... edited the /etc/ntp.conf and made sure all the entries in the folder ... /etc/ntp are the same as all the other Linux machines we have onsite. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Sendmail cannot send to own domain
      ... We have many RedHat 8.0 machines here, ... All machines can use their local sendmail to email their local users. ... Each machine can happily email hobbs at mongeese.co.uk, for example, and ...
      (RedHat)
    • RE: Sendmail cannot send to own domain
      ... server specifically for that. ... All machines can use their local sendmail to email their local users. ... unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe ...
      (RedHat)
    • smb client not being able to connect to 2003 server
      ... I cannot get smbclient (redhat 9) to connect to windows 2003. ... some machines I am able to connect to the server using smb:// on the ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)