Re: sun solaris .vs linux

From: Ed Wilts (ewilts_at_ewilts.org)
Date: 11/15/04

    Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:38:34 -0600
    To: bedouglas@earthlink.net, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 08:41:20AM -0800, bruce wrote:
    > if solaris 10 essentially allows me to download/use the OS, much like
    > fedora, and i don't lose anything with regards to building/running apps, i
    > might have to seriously think about solaris...

    That's a *VERY* big leading if. There is no such thing as an open
    source Solaris today.

    Personally, I don't believe that Solaris will be open source to the tune
    that Fedora is. Even if we do see some sort of open source license, it
    probably won't be GPL.

    Do you even see Sun release an open source OpenOffice? How about a true
    open source Java?

    If Sun can't or won't provide a truly open source Java, do you really
    expect them to open source an entire operating system?

    --
    Ed Wilts, RHCE
    Mounds View, MN, USA

    • Re: New Delphi roadmap is coming: NO UNICODE PLEASE!
      ... This license would not be well ... Solaris innovations, even though they have released their patents and the ... patents that they hold because Open Source software and Software Patents ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • SN#19770 Blastwave.org
      ... Open Source Packages for Solaris ... source software for the Sun Microsystems' Solaris operating system. ... open source software in accordance with specified standards. ...
      (comp.sys.sun.announce)
    • Re: How to monitor server performance
      ... I would like something that is standard on ... >> Solaris or open source. ... I would like to capture processor performance ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Anyone else seeing this management trend favoring Linux?
      ... >> Solaris is free.) ... >> can physically support more than 1 physical CPU. ... > Why do I keep repeating it? ... It's already clear that it will not be Big-O Big-S Open Source. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: DHS Open Source Hardening Project
      ... Vulnerability Discovery and Remediation, Open Source Hardening ... Question...is the Fedora development community benefiting from this ... I wouldn't expect there to be direct visibility to Fedora as that kind ...
      (Fedora)