Re: sun solaris .vs linux

From: Ed Wilts (ewilts_at_ewilts.org)
Date: 11/15/04

    Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:38:34 -0600
    To: bedouglas@earthlink.net, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 08:41:20AM -0800, bruce wrote:
    > if solaris 10 essentially allows me to download/use the OS, much like
    > fedora, and i don't lose anything with regards to building/running apps, i
    > might have to seriously think about solaris...

    That's a *VERY* big leading if. There is no such thing as an open
    source Solaris today.

    Personally, I don't believe that Solaris will be open source to the tune
    that Fedora is. Even if we do see some sort of open source license, it
    probably won't be GPL.

    Do you even see Sun release an open source OpenOffice? How about a true
    open source Java?

    If Sun can't or won't provide a truly open source Java, do you really
    expect them to open source an entire operating system?

    --
    Ed Wilts, RHCE
    Mounds View, MN, USA