Re: differences between a boot floppy and a rescue floppy

From: Pete Nesbitt (pete_at_linux1.ca)
Date: 12/22/04

    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:38:37 -0800

    On December 20, 2004 08:34 pm, shang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > are there any differences between a boot floppy and a rescue floppy? In
    > which situation do I need these?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Shang

    Hi,
    a boot floppy has a boot loader (grub or lilo) and is used to point to an
    existing kernel image (usually on the hdd). It can be used to boot a system
    that for some reason cannot boot from the hdd mbr. For example, I used to
    have a 486 that ran scsi drives but could not boot them with the (cheap) card
    I had, so i just left a boot floppy in the drive. The boot floppy had lilo
    point to the scsi drive for the os.

    A rescue disk will have it's own kernel and support files so it can boot linux
    without using anything from the hard drive. This would be used for example,
    if something happens like a fatal change to a file like inittab on the hard
    drive, preventing it from booting. You can boot with the floppy, possibly
    chroot into the hard drive, and fix whatever is broken.

    hope that helps.

    --
    Pete Nesbitt, rhce

    • Re: SBS 2003 + SATA + failing software mirror
      ... One thing...one of ourengineers went to site and thought he was going to shut down the server and replace the ailing drive boot back up and everything would be hunky dory.. ... When you start the system you need to check that partitions are correctly assigned to the right drives. ... On my SCSI test rig everything works as you would expect..with SATA I'm getting conflicting issues. ... I'm booted back to the boot floppy. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Duplicating drives (different sizes).
      ... Make a boot floppy ... I say use the boot floppy since I have had problems getting lilo to ... > I know both drives contain the exact same files, but I don't know if I ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Boot.ini problems
      ... I don't get an error message when I boot other than the system saying there's ... no bootable device (This of course is without the boot floppy). ... drives. ...
    • Re: Home Edition Startup Files
      ... I Recently used a XP boot floppy to load the PC and was told that a dll file ... As you know, the WinXP CD-ROM is bootable, and it contains a utility called the Recovery Console. ... The first physical sector of each partition and of each logical drive holds the boot sector for that volume. ...
    • Re: Win XP:Locating recovery console and typing commands therein
      ... Sounds like you are trying to work from a DOS boot floppy, ... If you have retail or generic OEM disk, ... > installed the recovery console from my installation disk. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)