Re: US Robotics 56K USB?

From: James Harrison (jamesaharrisonuk_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 01/14/05

    Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:58:05 -0800 (PST)
    To: Shane Presley <shane.presley@gmail.com>, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    To find out which serial port your modem is connected to try:

    echo "atz" > /dev/ttyS0 (com 1)
    or
    echo "atz" > /dev/ttyS1 (com 2)

    You should see the lights on the modem flicker slightly with the correct above
    command. Remember which device you got a responce.

    In the /dev directory see if /dev/modem is soft linked to your device.

    Make sure you have the ppp packages installed on your machine.

    The network configuration tool has a method of setting up a modem or just
    redhat-config-network.

    Select New and select Modem. Configure the modem and a provider.

    Hope this helps
    James

    --- Shane Presley <shane.presley@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi There,
    >
    > I've been told RedHat does support US Robotics USB modems. But I'm
    > not sure how to configure it. Do I need drivers?
    >
    > With my external serial modem, wvdialconf was able to find it and
    > configure it. But that just seems to be for serial devices?
    >
    > When I connect the modem I get this:
    >
    > Jan 14 11:38:59 hostname kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.2-2,
    > assigned address 3
    > Jan 14 11:38:59 hostname kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod
    > 0xbaf/0xec) is not claimed by any active driver.
    > Jan 14 11:39:02 hostname /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for
    > USB product baf/ec/1
    >
    > So how do I install/configure the modem, so that it's /dev/modem or
    > /dev/sttywhatever
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shane
    >
    > --

    • Re: modem blues
      ... KPPP menu and shot craps every time. ... The device is an external USR hardware modem. ... Do You Yahoo!? ... Mail has the best spam ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [SLE] Verizon DSL
      ... DSL, but I expect this one's the same). ... into the modem. ... Do You Yahoo!? ... Mail has the best spam protection around ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: problems with dial-up
      ... Subject: problems with dial-up ... --> Initializing modem. ... Do You Yahoo!? ... Mail has the best spam protection around ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: very strange connection problem on FC5 installation (SOLVED)
      ... upgrade to hit it....turns out that the linux kernel which runs my modem ... firmware upgrade ten days ago... ... Do You Yahoo!? ... Mail has the best spam protection around ...
      (Fedora)