Re: Requesting general SMTP guidance and opinions

From: Benjamin J. Weiss (benjamin_at_birdvet.org)
Date: 02/04/05

    Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:14:21 -0600
    To: Jeff Boyce <jboyce@meridianenv.com>, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    Jeff Boyce wrote:

    >Greetings -
    >
    >I am new to managing a Linux network for a small office so am looking for some general guidance and opinions. My issue is that I have several administrative programs on my server (e.g., tape backup and Dell OpenManage Server administrative tools) that have the ability to send notices to the system administrator to notify them of certain conditions. I would like to enable this as a tool for keeping track of the conditions on my system.
    >
    >We are running RHEL3, and our server is used primarily as a Samba file server for a small group of Windows based desktops. I believe that Sendmail and Postfix were installed on the server during the initial setup, although all unnecessary services are turned off to assist with security. Our incoming email service is handled via POP3 from a 3rd party provider. In order for my administrative tools to email messages to me, do I need to configure/start Sendmail or Postfix. For just this function, which one would be preferred and be easy to configure for this purpose by a novice administrator? Is there possibly another option for providing this function that would be simpler to implement and secure? Thanks.

    Okay, you say that your incoming email is handled via POP3 from a 3rd
    party provider. If I understand correctly, this means that when you
    receive this email to jboyce at meriianenv.com, the email is actually
    going to and being stored at electra.he.net. You are then using POP3 to
    retrieve your email.

    If this is in fact the case, then you don't have to have postfix or
    sendmail started. postfix and sendmail are used to *receive* email.

    What should happen is that your program will want to send an email to
    you. It will use DNS to find the MX record for your domain. The MX
    record shows the mail server that handles email for your domain. (from
    a linux prompt, try 'dig -t MX meridianenv.com' without the quotes.)
    The program will then contact that server and send the email. Then,
    when you use your POP3 client to retrieve your email, it will be there.

    This is how it *should* work.

    HTH,

    Ben

    • Re: Setting up Postfix in SUSE 9.1
      ... Not enough information, mail server is not precise enough, nor is having ... which is for mail from the user agent to the mail ... Postfix DOES NOT talk POP3. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: [SLE] Mail server help
      ... someone else about postfix and the like, ... or by the ucspi-tcpserver if using qmail. ... but an external POP3 daemon. ... > How would I set the mail server? ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: All mail users in AD, but mbox on linux server
      ... I have configured popa3d to use pam_winbind - it's doing his ... this has nothing to do with sendmail of course - maybe you can get ... backslashes in the name, and maybe you can get the local mailer to agree ... you used a pop3 server that could do some mapping username->mailbox (I ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • sendmail for SMTP + imap-2002e for POP3 on SLES 9
      ... I am trying to configure a local mail server using Sendmail and ... Now Sendmail is working perfectly fine for me! ... I have also set the Mozilla Client to use POP3S ... How can I set the POP3 so that I can download them in my client? ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: sendmail question
      ... >>Sendmail is a MTA that most ISP's use to transport mail worldwide, ... > Isn't SMTP, POP3, IMAP what ISPs use for internet mail? ... if mail will work without sendmail, but then i use netscape for my ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)