Re: RHN Update

From: Michael Schwendt (fedora_at_wir-sind-cool.org)
Date: 02/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:38:14 +0100
    To: carpenter@fbtelco.com, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:41:02 -0600, Brad Carpenter wrote:

    > OK, basic question here, we are running RHEL3 AS using it for ISP functions,
    > last time I connected to RHN it wanted to download a caching-nameserver,
    > which I did, which took over and made our secondary DNS server "fall off the
    > map".
    >
    > We recovered fairly easily, albeit very nervously, and wish NOT to run into
    > such problem again.
    >
    > Question is "Are there updates that we should ignore on a system like this?"
    > And if so, how does one go about picking and choosing what to skip and what
    > to keep?
    >
    > I see posts that say "update everything" all the time, is this the way it is
    > expected to work?

    Yes. Precisely, get the security/bug-fix updates for all packages you
    have installed already. Be careful when adding new packages to your
    installation which don't replace existing old packages.

    The caching-nameserver package you installed was not present on your
    system before and hence overwrote existing config files with its new
    contents. Probably just /etc/named.conf and local zone files in
    /var/named.

    Once installed, the config files within RPM packages are protected in two
    ways against being overwritten during updates. Depending on how an RPM
    package is configured, an update either creates *.rpmsave backup files of
    existing config files or stores its new config files in *.rpmnew where you
    can review them before copying any new default settings to your existing
    config files.

    Where you can choose a custom name for config files (e.g. zone files in in
    /var/named) choose a good namespace that's unlikely to be used by RPM
    packages.

    • Re: Redhat upgrade problem - packages fail rpm -Va
      ... > being owned by multiple packages, ... # rpm -V up2date ... {Only config files in verify error list. ... We can lean something from Microsoft's install process. ...
      (linux.redhat.install)
    • Re: Redhat upgrade problem - packages fail rpm -Va
      ... > being owned by multiple packages, ... # rpm -V up2date ... {Only config files in verify error list. ... We can lean something from Microsoft's install process. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: Shared Configuration file build problem
      ... My problems with multiple packages and config files have been resolved by ... sql 2005 sp1 ... "Allan Mitchell" wrote: ... I have 2 packages. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)
    • Re: Debian security vs OS X
      ... >OS X has famed installation procedures of just dragging to Applications ... Debian's packages don't do that either, ... config files that they know about (i.e. the ones the package was built ... I do like Debian packages' treatment of global ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • Re: wu-ftpd problem with time in the logs
      ... > He must use the config files he has to use. ... > be what the config files are in his installation and it's up to him to ... >> own before asking questions, but giving very little hint as to what ... packages, but can also tell you where all the pieces of a package are ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)