Re: RHN Update

From: Michael Schwendt (fedora_at_wir-sind-cool.org)
Date: 02/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:38:14 +0100
    To: carpenter@fbtelco.com, General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:41:02 -0600, Brad Carpenter wrote:

    > OK, basic question here, we are running RHEL3 AS using it for ISP functions,
    > last time I connected to RHN it wanted to download a caching-nameserver,
    > which I did, which took over and made our secondary DNS server "fall off the
    > map".
    >
    > We recovered fairly easily, albeit very nervously, and wish NOT to run into
    > such problem again.
    >
    > Question is "Are there updates that we should ignore on a system like this?"
    > And if so, how does one go about picking and choosing what to skip and what
    > to keep?
    >
    > I see posts that say "update everything" all the time, is this the way it is
    > expected to work?

    Yes. Precisely, get the security/bug-fix updates for all packages you
    have installed already. Be careful when adding new packages to your
    installation which don't replace existing old packages.

    The caching-nameserver package you installed was not present on your
    system before and hence overwrote existing config files with its new
    contents. Probably just /etc/named.conf and local zone files in
    /var/named.

    Once installed, the config files within RPM packages are protected in two
    ways against being overwritten during updates. Depending on how an RPM
    package is configured, an update either creates *.rpmsave backup files of
    existing config files or stores its new config files in *.rpmnew where you
    can review them before copying any new default settings to your existing
    config files.

    Where you can choose a custom name for config files (e.g. zone files in in
    /var/named) choose a good namespace that's unlikely to be used by RPM
    packages.