Re: Freeing unused kernel memory - Solved.

From: Mark Farmer (farmerma_at_cromwell.co.uk)
Date: 02/22/05

    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:36:34 +0000
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    OK folks, for the record & for anyone else who gets stuck on this, I
    fixed the problem by booting into rescue mode from cd1, chrooted into
    /mnt/sysimage and forced a reinstall of init like this:

    When in rescue mode & chrooted mount the cdrom: mount /mnt/cdrom
    Use rpm to force a reinstall of init:
    rpm -ivh --force /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/SysVinit-2.78-19.i386.rpm

    Exit the chroot environment & reboot.

    Hope this helps someone in the future :-)

    --
    Mark Farmer
    Linux System Administrator

    This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
    in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
    disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
    in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
    your computer.

    necessarily represent those of the company.

    Registered Office: PO Box 14, Chartwell Dr, Wigston, Leicester. LE18 1AT

    • Project Ideas and a question
      ... The question first: init does allow a chroot before booting the system however ... when init chroot's it unmounts the removable device and allows that device to ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: FC4 CF-based Router
      ... What happens is that it returns EINVAL, because it is a CPIO-style image, not a ramfs. ... I was able to get it to chroot into the target filesystem, though I cannot seem to run init. ... From what I saw, I need to use 1792 rather than 0x100, since my sysroot ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Freeing unused kernel memory - Solved.
      ... > fixed the problem by booting into rescue mode from cd1, ... > Exit the chroot environment & reboot. ... There's a reason that you corrupted your init image and you need to know ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: bad login
      ... You need to boot into rescue mode (from the CD1), chroot into your ... installed environment and then you should be able to set the root ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Panicing Kernel
      ... exec of init ) failed!!!:Bad address ... Kernel panic - not syncing:Attempted to kill init!! ... If I do chroot /mnt/sysimage I get the message: ...
      (alt.linux)