ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

From: Brook Hurd (
Date: 03/29/05

    Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:48:42 -0800
    To: <>

    After installing Redhat 3 Enterprise Edition I made sure MySQL was part
    of the install.

    When I tried to start MySQL I got the following error:
    ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    The /var/lib/mysql directory did not exist. Even after creating the
    folder, as suggested by this mailing list archives, it didn't help. The
    folder permissions are root.root.

    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MySQL from the Redhat RPMs and I
    still got the error. I even read previous e-mails and found little

    Any suggestions on what to do to make this work? I am at a loss.

    The following packages are installed:

    [root@W-pai-2077 mysql]# rpm -qa | grep mysql
    [root@W-pai-2077 mysql]# rpm -qa | grep MySQL
    [root@W-pai-2077 mysql]#

    redhat-list mailing list

    • Re: PHP 5.2 and Mysql
      ... I have redhat 3.0 Enterprise, and mysql ... and php 4.3.9 (installed from an rpm) - I can access data from my mysql ... db using php and the "pear" Db .php. ...
    • Re: PostgreSQL or MySQL on RedHat
      ... > I have been using MySQL on RedHat for about a year now. ... > geek friends keep telling me that PostgreSQL is better. ...
    • Re: wacky default..
      ... compiling sources, and building packages was ... RedHat-style layout with RedHat style init scripts, logfiles, and lists ... "leave MySQL off by default so a basic installation doesn't also ... require MySQL as well due to library dependencies". ...
    • Re: MySQL 4.0.x
      ... >> I have just recently posted a similar request and I guess the Fedora ... >> buying RHEL are happy with this archaic MySQL version either. ... Given that it's RedHat that seems to have the issue with the licensing, ...
    • struts failed connection to remote mySQL
      ... I have a struts app running on tomcat 5.0.25 running on my apple (OS ... X)and I am trying to connect to mySQL on a Redhat 9.0 with mySQL ...