ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

From: Brook Hurd (brookh_at_PerlmanArchitects.com)
Date: 03/29/05

    Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:48:42 -0800
    To: <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    After installing Redhat 3 Enterprise Edition I made sure MySQL was part
    of the install.

    When I tried to start MySQL I got the following error:
    ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    The /var/lib/mysql directory did not exist. Even after creating the
    folder, as suggested by this mailing list archives, it didn't help. The
    folder permissions are root.root.

    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MySQL from the Redhat RPMs and I
    still got the error. I even read previous e-mails and found little
    help.

    Any suggestions on what to do to make this work? I am at a loss.

    The following packages are installed:

    [root@W-pai-2077 mysql]# rpm -qa | grep mysql
    mysql-3.23.58-15.RHEL3.1
    mysql-bench-3.23.58-15.RHEL3.1