Re: forwarding logs

From: Reuben D. Budiardja (techlist_at_voyager.phys.utk.edu)
Date: 04/05/05

    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>
    Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:24:08 -0500

    On Tuesday 05 April 2005 12:03, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
    > An update...
    >
    > It appears that any script that has a "mailto" of root does not get
    > forwarded. If I change the "mailto" to root@host.domain, then it seems to
    > work. I think there is something subtlr going on here. Any clues?

    Hm... not sure if I can help any.
    What OS are you talking about here? What script for what log ? Based on my
    experience, once you set up the aliases for root in /etc/aliases, it does not
    matter what happens in the machine or script. Any email that is accepted by
    the sendmail (as MDA) for root will get forwarded to the account you set up
    in the alias. The script does not have anything to do with that.

    But I could be wrong. I've used this approach on all our machines (Redhat
    7.x-9, RHEL 3,4, Fedora) and it always works.

    Could you try, as local user to the machine, send email locally to root, and
    see if you get it in the expected email account ? something like

    user> echo "helloworld" | mail root

    This will make sure that local email to root works.

    RDB

    --
    Reuben D. Budiardja
    Dept. Physics and Astronomy

    • IBM Informix Web DataBlade: Local root by design
      ... IBM Informix Web DataBlade: Local root by design ... Impact: Any user who can: 1) Save a Perl script anywhere on the server's ... admin right on any database can do it by loading the WDB module into ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... I would also suggest using a simple script in the future that alerts ... Subject: Linux hacked ... To get back into your account you want to use, at the boot manager ... boot normally and you should be able to login as root with your new ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: BSDstats v3.0 - The Security Rewrite
      ... The bsdstats script could easily pick up that entry and set ... a management machine, and that management machine only has ... Email is sent to root containing IDTOKEN= as generated by host, root forwards that to rpt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, rpt@xxxxxxxxxxxx sends back KEY= value ... second time, submits report values to root, root forwards that to rpt@xxxxxxxxxxxx ... ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Great SWT Program
      ... from a terminal emulator and log in as root there. ... terminal-emulator windows open, ... The script, suid-root utility, or whatever would ... the command interpreter with root privileges ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Root hints updates
      ... This is a script to automagically update the root hints file. ... a copy from the existing root servers - yes, it will deal with the case ... It verifies FTP transfers. ...
      (comp.protocols.dns.bind)