Re: Raid and LVM at boot on RHEL4

From: Cecilio Marín (cmarin_at_essiprojects.com)
Date: 10/25/05

    Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:14:16 +0200
    To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    Hi,

    I think your problem is the type of partition.

    For grub is requesite /boot partition will be ext3, NOT LVM. Make sure
    you put /dev/md0 as ext3.

    Atte.

    Lunt, Nick escribió:

    >Hello folks,
    >
    >We have some Proliant DL145 machines which do not come with a raid controller but do come with 2 identical internal disks.
    >
    >I tried to do the install with putting the two disks in a raid1 config via the command line as Anaconda would not allow me to perform a mixed raid and LVM setup at install.
    >
    >Here's is what I did,
    >
    >Boot off disk 1
    >Before getting to the configure file systems bit I went onto console 2 and did this -
    >
    >fdisk /dev/sda creating a 300Mb bootable partition sda1 for /boot and left the rest of the disk as a partition of type linux raid autodetect.
    >
    >I then did exactly the same on /dev/sdb
    >
    >I created /dev/md0 with /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 and /dev/md1 with /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2
    >
    >My aim was to use /dev/md0 as a raid 1 /boot partition and /dev/md1 as LVM for the rest of the OS.
    >So I pvcreated /dev/md1 and vgcreated vg00 with /dev/md1.
    >
    >Next I switched back to console 7 to carry on with the install, Anaconda recognised the LVM and raid structure Id put on the disks and allowed me to create lvols in the vg.
    >
    >No problems so far, however, just before it starts installing the packages it formats the partitions then tells me it could not mount /boot (even tho it just formatted it) and presents a really unhelpful button saying "press ok to reboot" -- NICE ! ;)
    >
    >Anyhoo, has anyone managed to get raid and lvm working from install on RHEL 4 ?
    >
    >Im going to keep trying to get this to work, but if anyone has any pointers they would be well appreciated.
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >Nick .
    >

    >Wesleyan Administration Services Ltd registered number 5188850 and Wesleyan Unit Trust Managers Ltd registered number 2114859 ("WUTM Ltd")
    >are wholly owned subsidiary companies of Wesleyan Assurance Society, whose registered number is ZC145.
    >WUTM Ltd is a member of IMA. For ISA/PEP/Unit Trusts Administration Centre: PO Box Basildon SS15 5WQ Telephone: 0870 601 6129
    >Wesleyan Assurance Society and WUTM Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
    >Head Office, Colmore Circus, Birmingham B4 6AR. Telephone: 0121 200 3003 Fax 0121 200 2971.
    >Website: www.wesleyan.co.uk Telephone calls may be recorded for monitoring and training purposes.
    >
    >CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
    >
    >This communication and the information it contains is intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. Its contents are confidential and may be protected in law. Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact us immediately.

> [...]

    • Re: Booting - Enterprise Volume Management System
      ... that this is one of the reasons why I don't use ext3. ... If you're going to keep large chunks of disk unallocated to allow LVM to work, ... You don't think there are any disadvantages of one big partition? ... I don't claim you never have to unmount, but with LVM you have to unmount with ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • RE: resizing a partition
      ... however I believe the whole point of lvm to allow to ... Subject: resizing a partition ... Thanks, but it is not LVM partition, it is pure ext3 ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: LVM and install over existing installation
      ... I've recently acquired a cheap dedicated server for testing purposes which was shipped was CentOS, ... Now, this has always worked well in the past and this is aided by the fact that normally servers are provisioned with normal, boring filesystems like / being ext3. ... In this instance they've used LVM and frankly I've never used LVM before and I don't know how it will effect what I plan to do. ... can I turn the LVM partition back into ext3 or alternatively can I just treat the LVM partition as a normal one? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re : mounting filesytem for homedir
      ... in fedora as lvm is used, your partition isn't truly ext3, this is ext3 over lvm and fstab can help you mounting this! ... Objet: mounting filesytem for homedir ...
      (Fedora)
    • When LVM Goes Bad
      ... I believe LVM is the default on Fedora partitioning now, at least I didn't love it that much that I would have selected it, and it is on all my boxes now. ... However LVM makes less sense on, say, a laptop which has and will only ever have a single 2.5" HDD for storage that is permanently available with the laptop. ... The resulting symptom was that the partition contents were no longer recognized as containing a logical volume or a volume group, nor pvscan, although pvdisplay could see it was a physical volume if pointed directly at the partition. ... Whether this explained the loss of LVMness or a subsequent logical brain damage that happened elsewhere did it I don't know. ...
      (Fedora)