Java runtime environment on RedHat 3.2

From: Yard, John (jyard_at_ais.ucla.edu)
Date: 10/29/05

    Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:49:30 -0700
    To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list@redhat.com>

    My environment is RedHat 3.2 :
    t 11 17:56:58 exd kernel: Linux version 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp
    (bhcompile@tweety.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat
    Linux 3.2.3-47)) #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 23:35:44 EST 2005

    I believe thet the runtime environment for Java is not installed :
    eds1:/var/log] # java
    libgcj-java-placeholder.sh

    This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java
    master link required by jpackage.org conventions. libgcj's
    rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools are now slave symlinks to these
    masters, and are managed by the alternatives(8) system.

    This change was necessary because the rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools
    installed by previous versions of libgcj conflicted with symlinks
    installed by jpackage.org JVM packages.

    This script was designed to be overridden by the supported RHEL3 JRE
    packages, java-1.4.2-bea and java-1.4.2-ibm. It is installed as an
    alternative symlink as /usr/bin/java. It will override a third-party
    (non-RHEL3) JRE's java command if the JRE's bin directory is listed
    after /usr/bin in PATH. In that case, it is recommended that the
    third-party JRE's bin directory be listed first in PATH instead.

    My rpms are :

    exd:/ # rpm -qa | grep java
    gcc-java-3.2.3-49
    javamail-20031006-1
    redhat-java-rpm-scripts-1.0.2-2
    gcc-java-ssa-3.5ssa-0.20030801.48

    I need to install the runtime envirionment,
    preferably Java 1.5 - what rpm fileset do I need,
    if any ?

    Thx,

    Jyard
    UCLA