RE: setuid for "ssh"

Why can't you simply su to root, then start ssh. I'm sure the list will
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think running ssh _as_ root is a huge
security hole. (If it is even possible...)

Regards,

Gavin McDonald
========================
EVI Logistic Enterprises
email: me@xxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (604) 313-3845

  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Was any of the sites running a php nuke or another portal or system that is vuln ... been able to use that with a locla root exploit to gain root on the machine. ... > hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... > Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: About ssh login
    ... I want to ssh to my client,there is sonic-firewall. ... It is usually a bad idea to root logins from the Internet because it exposes the root account to automated cracking attempts. ... If you can, also limit it to connections for a specific IP address, or range of addresses. ... As others have said, it is better to log in as a normal user, and then become root. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
    (comp.security.ssh)