RE: setuid for "ssh"

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Gavin McDonald wrote:

> Why can't you simply su to root, then start ssh. I'm sure the list will
> correct me if I'm wrong, but I think running ssh _as_ root is a huge
> security hole. (If it is even possible...)

So is using rhosts files. One box get rooted, they all fall.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."

  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ... been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... I found a hidden directory /var/tmp/.tmp that has a bunch of directories ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Was any of the sites running a php nuke or another portal or system that is vuln ... been able to use that with a locla root exploit to gain root on the machine. ... > hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... > Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
    (comp.security.ssh)