Re: OS Overhead

Burke, Thomas G. wrote:

All,

	This is a somewhat convoluted question, but here goes...

	We are creating a system that has a "timeline" (e.g. tasks must
be completed in a given amount of time)

	OK, so we have a processor (we'll stay generic at this point)
that will be running a linux based kernel, and we want to figure out how
much processor availability we have (e.g. clock tics in a given time).

	We know that the kernel functions (including resource
allocation, interrupt hadling, and so on) take up some omount of CPU
horsepower (albeit small)

	What is a good general rule of thumb for a barebones linux
system?  I know this is gross estimation, but does the kernel use up 20%
of my CPU resources?  10%?  Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

I have used both QNX and Lynx to develop real time systems. We didn't look at the use of resources in the same way you are so I'm not sure if I can answer your question. However, we were running systems that had latency times on the order of three to five milliseconds. Both QNX and Lynx were very capable of handling responses in those time frames. I know that these can be considered rather long in some real-time applications. Since you have not said what kind of latency you are expecting in your application, it is hard to figure out what the demands of your product will be.

I have also worked on systems using Linux on an ARM where we were experiencing latencies on the order of 100 to 150 milliseconds. This may be a solution you would want to look into. Of course, this system was not as time critical as the others and a missed event was not catastrophic. http://www.arm.com/

I would suggest you look at the sites for http://www.qnx.com and http://www.lynuxworks.com. I'm not sure that either of these offers an operating system for 8-bit, but they have customer support and sales support links on their sites and you may be able to get some answers to your questions by contacting them.

Carl.

  • Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: desktop and multimedia as an afterthought?
    ... > The worst case latency is the one that counts and that is the contended case. ... a sign the contention in the kernel must *also* be a problem under SMP conditions. ... The traditional Linux method is the correct method of deal with this in a general ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Thinking about Linux 4.0...
    ... With the embracing of this new development model, we will speed up Linux ... philosophy of the kernel in a very fundamental way will be shunned. ... going on about reducing latency. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: fastest approach?
    ... you were speaking of run time (latency). ... Please pay attention that Linux is by no means a realtime system. ... course in the Kernel you will have less _average_ latency than ... If you really need to be "fast" I suggest taking a look at RTAI. ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: differences between kernel-tree and kernel-source and kernel image
    ... > will this install the kernel or try to patch an existing 2.6 kernel or ... affix-source - Driver source for the Affix Bluetooth protocol stack for Linux ... atlas-doc - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,documentation ...
    (Debian-User)
  • LTTng finds abnormally long APIC interrupt handler : 58.2 ms
    ... A trace taken with LTTng on a x86_64 dual quad-core, Linux kernel ... # Input Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)