From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jason Staudenmayer
Sent: March 17, 2006 09:42
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: A bit OT but still weird [traceroute issue]

Hi all,
I have a client who's had a DSL line for a few years, a few months
ago it started to kick him off line. I've checked and re-checked all his
equipment and found the linksys DHCP server was crapping out.
Changed all systems to static and everything looked fine. Got a call two
weeks later that he was still getting dropped from the DSL. I had Verizon
send a new modem and ran some other checks (pings, tracert and log files). I
found that the DynDNS client I had running was getting a new address every
15 -20 min. So we called V and asked if they changed anything (I'm sure you
all know the answer) "everything is normal on our end". Now I'm not stupid
and I've been doing this network crap for ten years, I know I didn't change
anything for me client and out of nowhere he has connection issues. So I was
over there last night and found something I've never seen before. I was
running tracert and the destination address would show as the first hop,
like this:

C:\>tracert google.com -d

Tracing route to google.com [64.233.167.99] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 64.233.167.99 <this is teh oddness>
2 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 207.106.0.241
3 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 207.106.96.93
4 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 169.130.80.33
5 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 4.78.164.9
6 16 ms <10 ms 16 ms 209.247.9.253
7 16 ms 31 ms 31 ms 64.159.0.237
8 16 ms 31 ms 32 ms 4.68.101.67
9 32 ms 46 ms 47 ms 209.247.34.26
10 32 ms 47 ms 46 ms 72.14.232.57
11 31 ms 47 ms 47 ms 64.233.175.42
12 32 ms 46 ms 47 ms 64.233.167.99

Trace complete.

C:\>

This is not the trace from his network but that's what it looked like.
Now AFAIK the first hop should be your local router. Anybody seen this
before? His setup is as follows:

DSL-line-------westell 6100------linksys router------network

I know that westell 6100 was a pain in the ass to get working right but I
setup the same thing for a friend and she hasn't had any problems.

Thanks all

Jason

  • Re: NexusDB?
    ... problem in a router misconfiguration at the end of their ISP. ... If you do a traceroute what are the last few hops? ... I too am on AT&T DSL and when trying to ping ... "Ping request could not find www.starhosting.de. ...
  • Re: Cornell and Diehl
    ... >>> Thanks for the tip about dialup instead of DSL. ... I sent a traceroute to them earlier. ... shows the route dying well before it gets to suite.net. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: AOL Servers Probing ???
    ... > Traceroute before on another IP. ... My first hop appears to be going to an SBC DSL user; ... Those AOL proxies ... one has to be an AOL proxy, it is sending packets back to me with an RFC ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: A bit OT but still weird [traceroute issue]
    ... Not quite look at my sample again the first hop is the ip for google. ... A bit OT but still weird [traceroute issue] ... I have a client who's had a DSL line for a few years, ... equipment and found the linksys DHCP server was crapping out. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Sporadic latency issues with ntl
    ... this sort of problem with a game. ... it is basically spiking for a few seconds at a ... time where it appears the whole connection shuts off, ... realized Im spiking and started the traceroute, ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)