Re: grep: memory exhausted

El Martes, 19 de Septiembre de 2006 17:16, Bill Tangren escribió:
I am occasionally getting the following kernel message:

Sep 19 08:54:02 mach2 kernel: usbhid: probe of 3-2.4:1.1 failed with error
-5

I did a grep to find all occurrences of usbhid in the logs, and this is
what happened:

# cd /var/log
# grep usbhid *
anaconda.syslog:<6>usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
dmesg:usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
grep: memory exhausted

I found this unusual, as I have 2 GB of ram (not a lot these days, but more
than I've ever had before).

Does anyone know why grep would be exhausting available ram?

Maybe is a /proc issue.
Maybe grep is eating all the input it can from files in /proc.

Just an opinion.

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

  • grep: memory exhausted
    ... I did a grep to find all occurrences of usbhid in the logs, ... I found this unusual, as I have 2 GB of ram. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: grep: memory exhausted
    ... bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Manuel Arostegui Ramirez ... I did a grep to find all occurrences of usbhid in the logs, ... Does anyone know why grep would be exhausting available ram? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: grep: memory exhausted
    ... bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Manuel Arostegui Ramirez ... I did a grep to find all occurrences of usbhid in the logs, ... Does anyone know why grep would be exhausting available ram? ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: ata4294967295: failed to start port (errno=-19)
    ... I did grep the logs and found ... that it first appeared in 2.6.24-rc1 (+ some git mayve) on Nov 3. ... gets there first I'll give a go at tracing this next week. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [opensuse] fsh and distros
    ... Provide log info no one can grep. ... To me that's not the major problem - any database will have tools to ... extract data from it. ... Logs are nice to have, in the aftermath of a crash ...
    (SuSE)