Failure to boot with SMP kernel on x86_64 SMP system ...

Hi, Folks ...

One of my Sun X4100s was hung this morning. All of them are running RHEL 4 update 4. On rebooting with an SMP kernel, it consistently hangs after printing the below to the console:

powernow-k8: Found 4 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.50.04-rh)
powernow-k8: MP systems not supported by PSB BIOS structure
powernow-k8: init not cpu 0
powernow-k8: init not cpu 0
powernow-k8: init not cpu 0
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
ACPI wakeup devices:
PCI1 USB0 ETHR USB1
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereferenceFreeing unused kernel memory: 192k freed

All of the systems I have are running the same kernel (2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp), but I also tried booting it with 2.6.9-34.ELsmp kernel, with the same exact result.

I can boot it fine using the "non-SMP" kernel, but of course, I wind up with only one CPU.

This kernel isn't new to the system; it has been running fine with it for a while. I ran the hardware diagnostic DVD, and it found no hardware problems.

So, I'm fishing for ideas here ... anyone got any? Thanks!

-s-