Re: SElinux and FC6

It's probably an upgrade bug in FC6 installer.

:-(

First thing I would check is if there's anything in /etc/selinux that
got created with extension .rpmnew (check timestamps to make sure
.rpmnew files are newer than config files, there's probability some of
them were from FC2 updates). Probably most important will be policy.18
and file_contexts files. If there is, just move them into place (for
example mv policy.18 policy.18.orig followed by mv policy.18.rpmnew
policy.18).

None of the files you mention exist.

When you are done with that, you should try re-enabling selinux in the
configuration file, than create /.autorelabel (touch /.autorelabel) and
reboot. This will cause /etc/rc.sysinit to recreate SELinux labels
early in the boot process (hopefull before everything freezes). If it
freezes before it gets to relabeling, try putting SELinux into
permissive mode (in the configuration file), make sure /.autorelabel is
there and reboot. When it's done try going back into enforcing mode.

I'm currently running yum to get all of the updates. I have to go out in
a little while, so it can do its thing while I am gone.

I will put it in permissive mode and reboot later today and see what happens.

BTW, when I bring up the firewall GUI and select the SElinux tab, it shows
disabled and everything is grey'd out, i.e., can't enable it.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the tips.

MB
--