RESOLVED - Maintaining Ownership When Copying Files and Directories

I needed to run exportfs -ra to have the edited /etc/exports file re-read.

Thanks to all!!

You probably need to set the no_root_squash on the export.

By default root permission is not maintained across NFS mounts. This is
to prevent an administrator on the NFS client reading files to which
they should not have access, writing where they should not be able to
and, worst of all, planting suid root executables to run on the server.

However, if you administer both client and server you can override this
and give yourself root access to the server's files on the client using
the no_root_squash in the export options.

Be very careful unless you are the only person with root access to all
the NFS hosts.

E-mail : nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

  • Re: Is there any encrypted or secure NFS?
    ... mr> crack root on the box to su to userB, you must give me at least ... but it's in the NFS standards. ... You may argue that if you have root access on your target's box you can ... snoop enough information to fake out Kerberos, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • SUMMARY: How could root be able to write normal users files on a nis client
    ... I found the root account on the nis clients are not able to make ... you should be root on the NFS file server. ... -1 unless you explictly share to that machine with root access. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Fork Bombing Patch
    ... if non root user request admin for more number of processes than root ... and if that user is not trustworthy and if does fork bombing attack it ... Perhaps you should file a bug with your distribution if you believe the default settings in limits.conf are too high. ... If we merge this patch, every cracking toolkit in existence will add such a feature, because log spamming makes it harder for the administrator to find more important messages, and even if the administrator uses grep judiciously to filter them out, that doesn't help if logrotate has already deleted the log containing the information they need to keep /var/log from filling up. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: block root access to NFS mount
    ... I need to give root access to an NFS client host machine, ... Often this also means that root may not even access the nfs filesystem ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Tools for FreeBSD development
    ... Most typically, the setup involves a central development server running -STABLE, with a private network link to a series of crash boxes. ... The development server NFS exports a file system to use as an NFS root and for file sharing, as well as running tftp and dhcp servers. ... Each test system has its own exported root, so I can use individual loader.conf's to tell test systems to boot off NFS, boot off local disks, etc. ...
    (freebsd-questions)