Server Farm

currently am building a web/DB/mail servers to replace old boxes. my
solution will spread the DB from the Web traffic. I am trying to implement
the best solution for
this and i need your opinion:

sample 1
|PIX|-----| 2x Cluster Apache/php server |------ |2 x Clustered DB
servers|------------|SAN storage|

sample 2
|PIX|-----| HW Load balancer|-----------| 2x Apache/php server |------ | 2x
Clustered DB servers|------------|SAN storage|

my solution should consider the following:
-separate Web traffic and Database
-spread that load over one or more server (master/slave)
-have some kind of Failover or High Availability
-being able to continually add more servers and space

the solution will provide web/DB/mail services
- Apache
- Qmail
- Oracle DB + MySQL DB
- Custom phps

your feedback please!

--
madunix

  • Re: huge email system
    ... > 3 NFS servers with RAID and SCSI ... We bought a NetApp for the mail store; it is currently our one single ... FC-attach it to a pair of FreeBSD boxes which serve it out ... inexpensive balancer; I'd be interested in hearing ideas. ...
    (freebsd-isp)
  • Re: Active Directory Question
    ... "As to whether we go smaller servers to spread the load or a large unit has ... Some applications pick a domain controller and don't spread the load. ... However, if your app is ...
  • Re: Active Directory Question
    ... > Some applications pick a domain controller and don't spread the load. ... > application you'll need to know how the app will behave before you can ... >> As far as production servers go, we tend to purchase IBM Xseries servers ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Security Audit and Priorities
    ... > Get yourself on the list of the people notified when new boxes are ... > built and old ones are retired. ... collect logs from its UNIX servers, routers, or firewalls. ... (I say that if this attitude persists they should get ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Noise question
    ... I have a chance to pick up 7 v20z servers I was going to use as PDC/BDC's and Citrix Metaframe XPE boxes on Windows. ... And beware of that rack's Plexiglas frontend, it can be cause of overheating and even more noisy servers. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)