Re: How to upgrade the kernel

Dave,
With redhat 5, you can update the kernel (and the rest of the os) via yum (yum-update). There probably isn't much practical advantage to not using the kernel rpm's that redhat provides.

Aaron

Dave Martini 1 wrote:
I'm running Linux kernel 2.6.18-8.el5 on an RHEL 5 distribution.
I downloaded the 2.6.23.1 kernel from kernel.org.
Does anyone have a good and accurate step by step process on how to upgrade the kernel?
Will I need to upgrade anything else besides the kernel itself?
Thank you.
Dave Martini
LLNL

--
Aaron Bliss
Systems Administrator

  • Is my kernel too old? 2.4.20-31.9
    ... I have a redhat 9 server/gateway/firewall for my home LAN and I am quite ... most of the newsgroup agreed that he should update his kernel. ... Last night I did an "apt-get upgrade" and pulled in about 70 packages, ... getting "Chap authentication failed" Chap? ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: RE: redhat 7.0 usb driver
    ... The first article gives the almost completed process for upgrading ... give a more detailed description for kernel upgrade. ... can u give me some links of how upgrading kernel on redhat linux. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Contents of redhat-list digest...
    ... limiting CPU access per user ... Old Version of kermit Source Code ... handle kernel NULL pointer ... barcode reader, from TRU-64 to Redhat. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... But performance is not everything SATA ... the smaller form factor drives. ... > kernel, ... >> REdhat is to wrap more stuff into its coming workstation release that I ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several ... Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to the ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)